Thread: Public Authentication

Public Authentication

I am wanting to add a members only section to my bands site for those who have purchased a CD (have videos, unreleased songs, etc ...) but can't really figure out a good way to do this. My problem is the password scheme ... I would like to avoid putting a unique login/password in each CD and then have a database that size (which would equal something like 10,000 users/passes at first printing ).

Any ideas in how to safely set something like this up?

Kind Mastermind

Re:Public Authentication

While I have no suggestions, I do have a question or two:

1. Wouldn't the unique login/password equal roughly 1k in size?

2. If so, wouldn't that only take up approximately 10 megs of space? That doesn't seem too overly large to me. What is your max allowable database size?

3. Are these cd's that you are burning yourself or are they being pressed at a manufaturing plant? If so, each of them should have a unique identification number on them. You could use those numbers to verify that the person owns the cd (or at least has access to it).

This is indeed a unique and interesting question. Now you have me thinking (that rarely is a good thing, according to my wife).

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=5;threadid=5798;start=0#55335 date=1039364333]
    While I have no suggestions, I do have a question or two:
    1. Wouldn't the unique login/password equal roughly 1k in size?
    [/quote]

Thats about right.

2. If so, wouldn't that only take up approximately 10 megs of space? That doesn't seem too overly large to me. What is your max allowable database size?
    As large as needed within reason. 10 megs is definatly small enough.

3. Are these cd's that you are burning yourself or are they being pressed at a manufaturing plant? If so, each of them should have a unique identification number on them. You could use those numbers to verify that the person owns the cd (or at least has access to it).
    They are manucatured at a distrobution and pressing plant. I thought about having uniques in each CD but that would push up the price of the press quite a bit and I don't know how much higher the label will go.

This is indeed a unique and interesting question. Now you have me thinking (that rarely is a good thing, according to my wife).
    Cheers
    The only other thing I thought of is using the serial numbers, ie put the serial number in, if it is a valid number then allow the user to make a login and password for the members only area and remove the serial number from the databse.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=5;threadid=5798;start=0#55351 date=1039377787]

The only other thing I thought of is using the serial numbers, ie put the serial number in, if it is a valid number then allow the user to make a login and password for the members only area and remove the serial number from the databse.
    [/quote]

I think that this is probably your best bet. It seems to me that since every cd would have a unique serial number, you won't have to pay extra for it. Which is good, obviously. I would go that route, to be honest with you. Best of luck!

Can't you go even more simplistic than that??? Just make one user and one password and print THAT in your CD sleeve... I mean it kinda sucks cuz what happens if that info gets out but hey it definately would be the most simplistic approach.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=5;threadid=5798;start=0#55422 date=1039413967]
    Can't you go even more simplistic than that??? Just make one user and one password and print THAT in your CD sleeve... I mean it kinda sucks cuz what happens if that info gets out but hey it definately would be the most simplistic approach.
    [/quote]

The problem with that is the amount of money per CD. It is just about 10c per CD to add custom login/pass but 10c* 10,000 = $1,000 ....

Turns out each CD doesn't have a serial number (just UPC code), any other ideas?

Not trying to be rude, but why not let everyone see and hear your new material. My personal site and my bands site both have all the info avail to everyone. I can't see why you would want to keep people out that have not bought your CD. I would want everyone that came to the site to hear my music. You are just losing potential fans that way. Music like software should be shared freely with everyone. I even have a part on my bands site that offers a trade( our CD for one of someone elses). I love new music. The only part I have passwd protected is my "personal" MP3 database. Simply because I don't want to lose crap loads of bandwith from tons of people downloading. I wrote a Java Script and placed in between two frames so you can't see the source. Wanna trade CD's?

[quote author=datamike link=board=5;threadid=5798;start=0#56059 date=1040058375]
    Not trying to be rude, but why not let everyone see and hear your new material.
    [/quote]

How dare you! Just kidding ;-)

My personal site and my bands site both have all the info avail to everyone. I can't see why you would want to keep people out that have not bought your CD. I would want everyone that came to the site to hear my music. You are just losing potential fans that way.
    We have music for download but want a special area for incentives for those who support us.

Music like software should be shared freely with everyone. I even have a part on my bands site that offers a trade( our CD for one of someone elses).
    Thats a cool idea, but two things keep us from doing something like that ..
    1.) It's our income
    2.) The record label nor record company wouldn't go for it.

Another reason for having it there is to post up unfinished songs and other stuff in the works for a taste of whats to come. Early access before people who don't buy CD's get to hear the songs.