Thread: north bridge, vid card, what?

north bridge, vid card, what?

yo whenever i used to play full-screen games with my old vid card (geforce 2 mx 200, 32 MB), my whole comp would just lock up. i had no idea why at first. then i went to my hardware monitor once after it had loocked, and discovered that my cpu and system temps were awfully high. also, the vid card was very hot as well. i figured my vid card was overheating. so i stuck a huge fan blowing right into the case. and guess what, it stopped locking up. except for when i forgot to turn on the huge fan.

then i got a new vid card. a geforce 4 ti 4200 128MB. needless to say this is a huge jump. this new card even has it's own fan. i figured thiscard won't overheat.

it did

so now i'm back to turning on the fan and forming a new conclusion. i think it might be the north bridge. not sure about this, but i heard something about this is the chip that links video with the rest of the system, or something similar. it makes sense when you consider it prolly overheats while playing games.

now, i'm not sure, and i'd love anysuggestions anyone can offer. what it may be, what i can do about it, anything at all. i figure that that one little chip on my mobo with its own heatsink is the culprit, but i'm not sure. i've thought of attaching an extran CPU fan to the little sucker and seeing what happens.

again, any help is appreciated

Re:north bridge, vid card, what?

I would just add more fans to the case... like ones that go in the expansion slots in the front of the PC if you don't wnat them in the front I think they make some that go into the back... That might help. It will at least create some more airflow in the case, that should help cool things down I little better... Instead of using a big 'ole fan!!

hello,
    if an athlon then make sure you are passing "mem=nopentium" to the kernel - there is a PET here

else i would drop my AGP setting to 2x in the BIOS.

hmm

i added a spare cpu fan that i had to the north bridge. no more crashes.

just plugged it into the sysfan spot on my mobo