Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Good sound card for linux?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good sound card for linux?

Mentor

Good sound card for linux?

I'm looking at getting a new soundcard. I don't really need anything flashy, just something that will give decent quality and isn't too pricy. I am currently using onboard which really bites.
    So what is out there with good linux support, and that fits what I'm looking for
    Cheers
    CP

Re:Good sound card for linux?

some card that has the emu10k1 chip would be my suggestion.
    pci128 isn't to expensive.

Good Guru

I have an SB live and a SB512 PCI, both work beautifully.

My SB PCI-128 works great.

Kind Mastermind

I agree with the soundbaster advise. If you want really cheap, good sound quality (it ain't the best but when mated to a good pair of speakers it will produced acceptable sound), and good linux support, try one of the cmedia cards. They are usually around $15 USD for 5.1 capability. Overall, though, the soundblaster gets my approval. A decent 2 channel card will run you little more than the cmedia 6 channel surround card (say, average $20 USD for a 128/512 model).

On a related note, who makes a good set of speakers (three piece, I have to have bass!) that don't cost a whole lot (say, $30-50 USD with the emphasis on the lower end). I know that I can't expect Klipsch 2.1 quality or home stereo quality. I just want a 2.1 system that has good, solid bass seperation with plenty of thump. I think that the Logitech series of speakers are good and the Labtecs are too. Any thoughts?

[update]Krex has a 5.1 SB Live Digital for $34 USD. That is a pretty good deal, plus the linux support for the live cards is pretty darn great. I'm thinking about buying one. Of course, you might be able to find a better deal out there. I'm just including the link for illustrations sake. Cheers.[/update]

Good Guru

Hey stryder.

I actually found that the best deal I found was about a year ago. I got a really nice set of 4 speakers with subwoofer and all of the cabling for just under $100 with tax. It was a Cambridge Sound. I cant say I will need to buy new speakers until these blow out. These suckers rock. So figuring that -- you should be able to grab the same kind or even newer for a bit less.

Mentor

Do any of you know what the linux support is like for a Philips Rhythmic Edge?
    Cheers
    CP

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=5425;start=0#52593 date=1035592551]
    http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/res...363.sort.price

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....com&id=929
    [/quote]

Man, they look like some good deals there, trickster. Thanks for the leads. BTW...I fixed the links.

Has anyone tried the Soundblaster Audigy cards? If so, how is it?