Thread: Issue booting with GRUB on ReiserFS

Issue booting with GRUB on ReiserFS

I am installing a fresh copy of Gentoo 2004.1 on a test machine. I want to install all the programs that I never use so I can get a feel for how they work. One of the first issues I have come across is getting the machine to boot.

Like I said in the title, I am using GRUB and the root file system is ReiserFS. When GRUB tries to load the kernel it gives me an "Error 15: File not found" I read somewhere that GRUB has to load some drivers to be able to read a ReiserFS disk, but I don't think it is doing that. All have poured over the GRUB documentation and I am positive that I have set up the grub.conf file correctly but it still won't load. Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer some advice?

Thanks,

---EDIT---
    Well, well, well. I did more searching and come up with this article.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6782
    It may solve my issue, but I will need to get in front of my machine in order to test it. I will let you know what happens.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

I'm guessing, since you've not posted again, that you solved this problem? If not, the odsds are overwhelming that you don't have reisersfs support compiled into your kernel. If you used genkernel, you probably don't. Otherwise, the manual make menuconfig won't default to include reiser support. If you've installed to a single reiser partition, as opposed to Gentoo's suggested scheme using an ext2 /boot partition which isn't mounted by default, you'll want to compile reiserfs support directly into the kernel, NOT as a module. Good luck. And hey, if it doesn't work out, read my post on NavynOS. I guarantee you'll get a nice install from it.
    Dawggie

Advisor
    he's talking about problems with GRUB, not his kernel

jro: make sure that your grub.conf file points to the correct kernel image name and path, usually that is the problem when this happens

maccorrin's right on with this one. Here's the tail end of my /boot/grub/menu.list if you need to see the verbiage:

title linux
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/kernel_4-26-2004 root=/dev/hda2
    boot

title windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Thanks for the replies, I went awol there for a week or so. I will have to double check to make sure I compiled reiserFS support into the kernel. I am pretty sure I didn't do that, I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Forget the reply that once resided here. It may be the problem I think it is, it may not. The post once here contained some really non-constructive response to a poster whose sincerity I doubted. I no longer doubt that sincerity, and defer to the judgemet of the forum moderator.

Embarassed hat-in-hand addendum. While I still believe that my solution will end up being the one that fixes things, there Are a number of other problems which can cause similar results. Error 15, according to the GnuGrub documentation, means that Grub can't find the particualar file. This may be becuase the file has been incorrectly named/designated in the grub.conf file. Getting used to the (hdx x) naming convention can be pretty frustrating, and may be why a file wasn't found. I offer my complete, and utter retraction of all flames directed at moderator maccorin for his hasty post, as mine was just as hasty. I'd offer an olive branch too, but I'm not sure how it's licensed.

Advisor
    lol, dude, it's all cool

EDIT:
    he will of course also have to make sure that support is built into his kernel for his filesystem, he's just not to that stage yet.