Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite im protocol?

What's your favorite im protocol?

What's your favorite im protocol and why? If other post what other protocal you use...

Re:What's your favorite im protocol?

Sorry to admit it, but I rather like MSN. ICQ was the first and will still hold a special place, but I really like the direct connection thing that MSN does. It's one connection one time, not sketchy like ICQ sometimes is. Although I may be somewhat biased as I've only used ICQ and MSN. Never had much interest in AIM or Yahoo, and never really did know what Jabber was.

Kind Mastermind

I use AIM, MSN, and occasionally YIM. I would like to standardize on one, but mom uses AOL, my wife/sister/brother (and no, they are all not one and the same person! ) all use MSN, and one or two friends use YIM. I ignore the ICQ users, mostly because I found it to be too confusing when I first looked into it years ago.

I like Jabber because it is open, and it uses xml for messaging. You can even set up your own server if you want.

Even though Jabber is the best thing since sliced bread, I don't use it as much as I do ICQ (yay!) and MSN (:-/) mainly because there is hardly anyone else on it.

[quote author=segfault link=board=12;threadid=5715;start=0#54697 date=1038713830]

Even though Jabber is the best thing since sliced bread, I don't use it as much as I do ICQ (yay!) and MSN (:-/) mainly because there is hardly anyone else on it.
    [/quote]

Yeah why is that anyway?

I did not know jabber used xml. This is cool. I still don't know anyone on it so I won't use it, but I have deemed it cool.

I just started using it but I don't know many people on it. I just know a couple people on the board and thats it. It seems that it is the only im client that allows me to send and recieve files.. Atleast I haven't been able to do that with gaim.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=12;threadid=5715;start=0#54699 date=1038718376]
    [quote author=segfault link=board=12;threadid=5715;start=0#54697 date=1038713830]

[/quote]

Yeah why is that anyway?

I did not know jabber used xml. This is cool. I still don't know anyone on it so I won't use it, but I have deemed it cool.
    [/quote]

Jabber also has "resources". This is where you can have multiple machines connected under the same name in this manner: segfaultnz@jabber.org/desktop or segfaultnz@jabber.org/laptop where desktop and laptop are the resources.

And, it also has conferencing support. This is basically like a cross between ICQ/AIM chat rooms and IRC.

icq mainly and some msn

Advisor

sadly, I am also a MSN user, simply because all my friends use it. :-\

Why is msn so popular? It seems that it has become very popular.