Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix

Advisor

Knoppix

I just installed Knoppix and wow, it is mighty fine. It didn't pick up my monitor, but that came as no surprise to me considering I don't even know what the hell it is exactly. That was an easy fix in my XF86config. And I'm getting a little bit of dialup greif, but other than that I'm loving it! I just can't wait to get it on the net so I can play with apt-get. ;D

Knoppix truly is amazing though, the fact that it can pick up your hardware so well is amazing, I think this is a distro that could really help Linux on the desktop, I know I'll be burning copies of it for some of my friends to try and get them to switch

Kind Mastermind

Re:Knoppix

Glad to hear that you like it so much. I use it when I bork whatever distro I'm playing with on the hard drive. It's perfect (I use from the cdrom). If I could install it right, it would be my distro of choice.

Cheers

I have wasted a cd on Knoppix. It stops on starting X > It's the only "graphical" distro I have tried that couldn't configure X on my comp, so I can't say I'm impressed. And there were no errors in the X log.

Oh well, maybe I would have liked it if it had worked, but I doubt I will try it again.

Advisor

Well, I got my dialup going, so now I am loving Knoppix.

8) KNOPPIX 8)

Mentor

I love it too. I used it to install LFS. I found it great, set up my internet, CD burner, movies, all that crap right away. Its so handy when I break something too.

I use Knoppix to get Linux at school, I don't like it much.

What's not to like about Knoppix? This is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

My SCSI controller apparently bit the bullet and my system started throwing random errors at me before it halted altogether. It did that earlier and I burnt Knoppix just in time. Now I'm running KDE + several heavyweight GUI programs + a webserver + ++ all off a CD!! That's way cool. I can even mount my IDE disk and play divx movies with xine.

Initially I wanted to download Knoppix to move my entire system off the SCSI disks onto a new IDE disk I'm gonna buy tomorrow. And the only thing I wanted was a terminal prompt. And here I am serving the web with my DSL connection, chatting on aim, watching movies... this is absolutely amazing.

Advisor

Yeah, I have found Knoppix to be truly phenominal, I brought a CD to school the other day and booted up a computer with it, now I have 3 people that were there asking me for a Knoppix CD so that they can install Linux, all of them didn't have linux installed previously. Truly a great tool! ;D

Kind Mastermind

Dude, I just installed it to my second HDD! Now I'm rockin'! This is indeed a sweet distro. Thanks bullgooselooney for the PET and for the cd! This is uber-cool!

Now I need to apt-get update and see if there are any packages that I need updating!

Cheers

BTW...has anyone looked at the sources.list file that is included with knoppix? Holy Cow! It's huge!

Advisor

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=5713;start=0#55270 date=1039313601]
    Dude, I just installed it to my second HDD! Now I'm rockin'! This is indeed a sweet distro. Thanks bullgooselooney for the PET and for the cd! This is uber-cool!

Now I need to apt-get update and see if there are any packages that I need updating!

Cheers

BTW...has anyone looked at the sources.list file that is included with knoppix? Holy Cow! It's huge!
    [/quote]

Glad to see you're liking it! I haven't looked at the sources.list file, but I did notice that when i did apt-get update it went to a whole shitload of servers and took a while.