Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

what's your project? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what's your project?

Well its moving in that direction, I was thinking about the problems we would be faced with, there should be a little delay where the spell is shown to you that they played, and there should be a turn for interuppts and instants to take effect. My uncle might decide to help too. This might look promising. :w00t:

Advisor
    i'm not all that interested in a magic game, but if you guys do make one and you want some help/advice/whatever coding, let me know and i'll try to throw in some of my free time

Well maccorin, heres the problems I myself am faced with:
    -Normalizing the database.
    -assigning and image to each individual card.
    -each card has a different colored casting cost, how could i put that in the DB?
    -Making the rules for each individual card.

Take into consideration i've only been into PHP / MySQL for about a week, and my concepts on programming are almost nil. :shock:

Advisor
    just create a field for each thing in your db table, assign a number to each color, and create an INT field (or is there a SHORT in mysql... don't remember) for the color, and use a BLOB field for the image.

Making the rules is gonna be a bit harder ;p, that's gonna take some design decisions, Do you want to hardcode them (the easy, not-very-good way), or do you want to write a parser and store them in a text field for each card (the not-so-easy, but quite rewarding in the end way)

Not sure what you mean by "normalizing" the database. Please elaborate.

If you decide you want parse the rules dynamically somehow, then you have a few more decisions to make (and the project will take you quite a while, i guarantee it ;p)

Advisor
    I just read "colored casting cost" I read that as "color" before, I'm not sure what a "colored casting cost" is, I'm assuming it's some sort of mana. And that there are different types of it. If that is the case, you could do a few things, you could have seperate fields for each type (ewwww...), or you could have one feild (BIGINT or something), and store a bitmask in it. That is the route i would go

Normalizing by making not making it as complex. And I like the idea of assigning each color a number and storing images in a BLOB field. parser? eh? lol id have to read up on all that.

Advisor
    well, to help make the db less complex, you would have to post what you have, (just a .sql file or something)

I'm in a 'brainstorming' and flow-charting my processes phase of a project that's kind of similar right now. I'm wanting to take info from D&D monster manual entries and make a front end that generates encounters based on your encounter tables. I'm thinking lots of parsing, not hard rules. So I'll also be very interested in what comes of some of these other projects!!!

Sounds like an idea :shock: I like D&D myself.

Is this going to remain web-based, or will it be a CLI or GUI?