Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How To Build A Server?

Thread: How To Build A Server?

Hybrid View

How To Build A Server?

I am attempting phase out my Windows 2000 domain controller on my home network.

The machine box is a Compaq Proliant 5000 with 512Mb memory, 4 x Pentium Pro 2000 CPU's and a RAID 5 25Gb Ultra SCSI array ... I have added a SiS 8Mb PCI video card, it's not good but it is far superior to the now disabled on board video.

I have installed SuSE 8.0 on it, selecting for no office apps, KDE and the network server option. What I want to do now is how to do the following:

* Set up some print queues: I have three printers:
    - An HP 640C on a single printer HP Jet Direct Box.
    - An Epson EPL-5700 Laser on port 1 of a three port Jet Direct Box
    - An Epson 600 on port 2 of the same three port Jet Direct Box

* Set Up Samba to authorise (act similar to an NT domain controller), file & print sharing for Linux and Windows clients.

* Add an ISDN card & setup:
    - Mail Proxy (preferably some kind of mail database accessible from both Outlook and a Linux mail client).
    - Internet Proxy

* Finally add a raid controller (I gotta buy this but it will probably be a Promise ATA 133 Raid Card) and transfer my two 80Gb data drives to the new box.

Once that's done I should be able to decommission my Win2K server.

Note: it is necessary, in the short term at least, to maintain some compatibility with windows networks.

Are there any good resources for doing this?

Good Guru

Re:How To Build A Server?

[quote author=VampyreUK link=board=4;threadid=5702;start=0#54603 date=1038557588]
    I have added a SiS 8Mb PCI video card, it\'s not good but it is far superior to the now disabled on board video.
    [/quote]
    That should be more than enough for a server. I have 4 MB card and it do more than a fine job.

* Set up some print queues: I have three printers:

* Set Up Samba to authorise (act similar to an NT domain controller), file & print sharing for Linux and Windows clients.
    Read up on SAMBA book or documents. Both can be done with SAMBA. Exact details are too much to explain. Grab a good SAMBA book ( check on samba.org for recommendations ) and start from there.

* Add an ISDN card & setup:
    - Mail Proxy (preferably some kind of mail database accessible from both Outlook and a Linux mail client).
    If you set up POP or IMAP, both MUAs should read just fine.

- Internet Proxy
    Squid is your friend.

Note: it is necessary, in the short term at least, to maintain some compatibility with windows networks.
    SAMBA will let you have that not only for short term but also for the long term.
    Are there any good resources for doing this?
    Check out http://www.linuxdoc.org . There are more documents and topics than any one person can consume.

Re:How To Build A Server?

Will do ... thanks :-)