Thread: MySQL-binary blobs

MySQL-binary blobs

I need to update a database for a client which uses MySQL. My problem is that the descriptions for the products in the database are blobs that are in binary format ... and using phpMyAdmin I don't seem to be able to change their content. How would I go about doing this either vua phpMyAdmin, the command line, or through another tool.

Re:MySQL-binary blobs

I should note the database is on a diffrent box/network than what I am on and I access it via ssh/ftp/phpMyAdmin

There has to be a mysql freak on this board :P

I probably can't help but how do you display their blobs if it is in binary format? Because if their is a third party program used to display the binary info then maybe this program have an edit function(??????)

OR

I would assume that you would need to have the sources and know how they encoded/compiled the blobs and then edit the old sources/create new ones and re-encode/re-compile them?? Sorry like I said I'm probably not gonna be able to help but just a thought.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=2;threadid=5683;start=0#55283 date=1039324398]
    I probably can't help but how do you display their blobs if it is in binary format? Because if their is a third party program used to display the binary info then maybe this program have an edit function(??????)
    [/quote]

The binary blob is just a long string of text/html that describes products in the database. AFAIK it shows the blob as is on the site but according to the database it's binary and thus I am not sure how to edit it (the front end I use says binary - do not edit and doesn't allow me to see it)

OR

I would assume that you would need to have the sources and know how they encoded/compiled the blobs and then edit the old sources/create new ones and re-encode/re-compile them?? Sorry like I said I'm probably not gonna be able to help but just a thought.
    It's inputed as type blob function binary (or vice versa) so when I look at the original SQL table stuff it's in plain text/html.

Well I'm glad that I at least attempted to help, but it is clear to me that you know WAY MORE about MySQL than I do! The only other thing I can think of is that they didn't give your user permission to change that column of data... but again I had no idea that there was a binary data type good way to keep things hidden from people.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=2;threadid=5683;start=0#55309 date=1039332697]
    The only other thing I can think of is that they didn't give your user permission to change that column of data... but again I had no idea that there was a binary data type good way to keep things hidden from people.
    [/quote]

I have user permissions to change anything I just have no clue how to change a binary blob. Thanks for responding!

when you say you want to change it....

do you mean that you are upgrading to a newer version of mysql or what? i'm a little confused as to what exactly it is you are trying to do.

but if you're upgrading you prolly don't have to worry about anything, just keep the database the same.

in any case, if you do something you're not too sure about, either play with it in a test db, or back up with mysqldump or however you like to do it.

AHA! having re-read your post i am no longer confused

but i now see that i can offer no assistance

you might be able to change the data type through the command line client, but not too sure about that.

Yup, command line client was the way to do it. phpMyAdmin (at least the version my server is using) doesn't support binary blob editing.