Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

gnome2 and RH8.0

Thread: gnome2 and RH8.0

gnome2 and RH8.0

Is there anyway of installing Gnome 2 and not install BlueCurve on RH8.0?

I used RH8 for a little while but didn't like it very much as BlueCurve sucked alot of features out of Gnome.

What's the work around?

thanx,

Re:gnome2 and RH8.0

The only thing I can think of is to either install KDE and then DL and install Gnome that way or make sure you install Lynx and then DL Gnome and install it. Not pretty but it should work!

Really...they don't let you get away without Bluecurve....

Well Boo-Urns.

It's too bad...there was a time when RedHat was the King of Distros.

Isnīt Bluecurve just a theme? Or do you mean the modifications Red Hat did?

Good Guru

Bluecurve is a theme

GNOME2 did drop alot of features. They are now making sure what is included works as close to perfect as it can get. Then new stuff will be added.

If you want fance stuff, try out Ximian's port of GNOME2. It is the nicest non -gnome.org release I have seen.

Ximian2 won't be out till later this month, so they say.

Man, I've been working w/ RH8.0 and I don't have any control over anything. If RH/gnome wanted to really make an impact on the desktop scene they should have taken some lessons from ximian.

thanx,

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Blaqb0x link=board=6;threadid=5674;start=0#55796 date=1039823767]
    Ximian2 won't be out till later this month, so they say.

Man, I've been working w/ RH8.0 and I don't have any control over anything. If RH/gnome wanted to really make an impact on the desktop scene they should have taken some lessons from ximian.

thanx,

[/quote]

stryder likes ximian. In fact, I can't wait for it to be released for Debian! Then I will be a very happy man! I plan on trying to stop by their headquarters in April (my parents live about an hour away). I would be pleased as punch to meet Miguel or Nat. I wonder how difficult it is to get a tour. A couple of years ago they sent me a free tshirt (when it was helixcode!). I still have it and plan on thanking them in person.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only Linux user that prefers Gnome. ;D

I'm using RH 8 too and I do hope they give the user some of the control back over the DE with the 8.1 release (which should have Gnome2). I can't imagine RH leaving Gnome stripped for too long since they're the only major distro to make it the default distro (all the others use KDE). As far as Bluecurve goes - I think it's the best looking theme for Gnome you can get. I know way down into the minority there but I think it's really nice looking - about as nice looking as you can get actually. KDE's never looked this good IMO.

Regards,
    ST