Thread: Computer freezes

Computer freezes

I have a box with Debian 3.0. Everything is working fine, except that at least once a day the box just freezes up to the point where only the reset button gets it going again. There is no pattern when it decides to freeze. It could be sitting idle and when I come back it's frozen solid, or it would do that when I'm working on it. Checked the CPU, it's not getting hot. Replaced memory module, no difference. I don't know if it's a hardware or a software problem. How do you troubleshoot a problem like this?

Re:Computer freezes

please post your hardware specifics such as motherboard, video card, etc

howdy whiskers!!
    under linux the only two times i have had this happen was recently when i installed redhat from an hard drive image, and the other time was when i was using kernel 2.4.something and the fix was with a item to pass to the kernel - descibed here amd cpu lockup fix

It is a P-III Coppermine CPU on a PC-Chips AT motherboard with BX chipset, 512MB SDRAM, Diamond Multimedia S3 Savage AGP video card, 3COM 3c515 "Fast Ethernet" NIC, Ensoniq ES1371 sound card, 50X CD-ROM and a CD-RW drive, 20GB Fujitsu HDD, kernel 2.4.19.

So it is not an AMD processor.

if you have agp set to 4x try setting it to 2x..

Advisor

Also, you may want to play with your BIOS settings. My computer would do similar things but I reset my BIOS to defaults and it fixed the problem.

I think this is what I need for my server. Thanks for the link
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=5633;start=0#54172 date=1037753123]
    howdy whiskers!!
    under linux the only two times i have had this happen was recently when i installed redhat from an hard drive image, and the other time was when i was using kernel 2.4.something and the fix was with a item to pass to the kernel - descibed here amd cpu lockup fix
    [/quote]