Thread: Cable modem?

Cable modem?

I'm all connected at "home" with a cable internet account. For now, I've opted to use their cable modem (for about $3/mo.); but they do give the option for me to have my own cable modem.

I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a brand of cable modem? Any particular one that's given good service? I don't really have to buy one, but I'm thinking I'll save money over time if I do. Any ideas? TIA .
    Steve

Well, I can't recommend a specific brand (I've relied on DSL over cable over the last few years, basically because it's cheaper) but I do know that every ISP in the world changes the model of the modem they use more or less annually for both cable and DSL. That means it's *really* easy to get stuck with a useless, expensive chunk of plastic and have to buy or rent a new one. I have a 200 dollar Cisco 678 in my closet that isn't even much use as a paperweight.

Bottom line: I'd recommend just staying with your rental scheme. That way if (which is to say, WHEN) they change the model on you, you can just have them ship the new one out and rent that instead.

IMHO, naturally.

Mentor
    Got ours FREE two years ago, works and the price was perfect! I think that there must be tons of these "free with sign-up" modems, I'd try to score one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error
    Got ours FREE two years ago, works and the price was perfect! I think that there must be tons of these "free with sign-up" modems, I'd try to score one.
    Trying to stay logged into this board really sucks. I typed a reply, only to have it lost by the auto logout :evil: :evil: :evil: ...

I'll wait to get home to reply.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuramone9
    Well, I can't recommend a specific brand (I've relied on DSL over cable over the last few years, basically because it's cheaper) but I do know that every ISP in the world changes the model of the modem they use more or less annually for both cable and DSL. That means it's *really* easy to get stuck with a useless, expensive chunk of plastic and have to buy or rent a new one. I have a 200 dollar Cisco 678 in my closet that isn't even much use as a paperweight.

Bottom line: I'd recommend just staying with your rental scheme. That way if (which is to say, WHEN) they change the model on you, you can just have them ship the new one out and rent that instead.

IMHO, naturally.
    I quite agree with this. I've been worried about compatability issues, so... :w00t:
    Steve

I am going with snct on this one too. Cable modems can be tricky. Even DSL modems can be a bear. It seems that alot of ISP's make tiny modifications to their modems so that you are required to use their equipment. I can see the profitability in it, but it seems a pretty sleezy way to make money to me.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7