Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RAM required for KDE

Thread: RAM required for KDE

RAM required for KDE

Everything I read reccomends against installing KDE on a computer with 16MB RAM, but my sister just bought an Acer 486 with 16MB RAM, and windows 98 runs slow on it, but not too slow to be usable. If win98 runs on it, can I expect KDE to be faster or about the same speed?

Mike

Re:RAM required for KDE

KDE will run like crap on a 486 with only 16 MB ram. Go for a lightweight wm like *box, windowmaker or icewm.

Kind Mastermind

Well, it will run slow, no doubt about it. It is best to try another wm and just install the required libraries from KDE so that you can still use the programs from KDE. Kinda the best of both worlds, in a way.

Try xfce or any of the great, light weight wm's and de's listed at xwinman. You can't go wrong using a light weight environment (remember, KDE has tons of eye-candy. Eye-candy = resource hawg!).

Cheers

a 486 with 16 megs of RAM... isn't that like a crime in some states?

But seriously, if you must run something on that piece of crap, don't run X, it will run DOGSLOW...

Advisor

I'll give you a bit of an idea what KDE needs, I had KDE 3.0.1 on my AMD K6-2 @ 450 mhz with 128 megs ram, and it ran decently but some things were still too slow for my liking. I wouldn't be surprised if it took over 5 minutes just to start on a 486. Lightweight WM would be the only way to go on that thing, either that or command-line. :-\

Thanks for all the replies, I just assumed that KDE would load at least as fast as win98 on this computer....but I still may set it up with xfce or icewm.

Mike