Thread: Unable to access websites

Kind Mastermind

Unable to access websites

Alrighty then, people...have I got an interesting question for you!

I have just finished loading Debian 3.0 w/ a kernel version 2.4.16 (I really hated the messed up way that Lindows included kde 2.x and 3.x stuff on it). I am running xfce 3.16 as my wm. I want to eventually add kde 3.0.4. Soooo...I fire up kppp (version 2.2.2-14 along with ppp 2.4.1.uus-4). I log onto my ISP. Then, I fire up mozilla 0.9.9-6. It can't access any websites. None. Nada. Zip.

My question is this...what must I do to allow mozilla and everything else that I want to access the net properly. I am desperate. I am using my spare Win98 box (shudders). Please help me!

Re:Unable to access websites

Do you have your ISP's DNS server listed in /etc/resolv.conf?

Good Guru

DNS servers are public servers so it doesn't matter which DNS server you use as long as your system is reachable via IP. So ping some IP addresses and if the response is okay, then ping host names. If it's NOT okay, then it's your DNS that you need to check.

Here are some IP and host names that to get you started.

ns1.attbi.com 204.127.198.4
    ns2.attbi.com 216.148.227.68

HTH ....

Kind Mastermind

I will check out the /etc/resolv.conf file when I get home from work. Not to sound too ignorant, but how do you ping an address? I have heard about it, but have never needed to, so I just ignored it.

Could it be possible that I might have configured things wrong? On install, Debian asked for some ip addresses for the network. Could these numbers be messing things up? I think that I will have to mess around a bit (maybe even reinstall everything, since it just takes a few minutes anyway) and see if that is the case.

Thanks.

[edit]Never mind the ping question. I just read up on how to use ping. I guess all I can say is, DUH! Thanks guys, I'll play with the whole ping thing later.[/edit]

Advisor

I had similar problems under LFS, it was my resolv.conf file didn't have a nameserver in it.

The numbers debian asked for during install could be what's messing it up, but these should be easy to change without reinstalling. They are all in text files, the trick is finding them.

Kind Mastermind

Knoppix to the rescue! I rebooted the computer and loaded up Knoppix. Then, in a fit of genius, I checked resolv.conf. Then, I logged onto the internet, checked resolv.conf again, jotted down the numbers and terminated the connection. Next, I rechecked resolv.conf (it was the same as the first time I checked it). I logged onto the internet again and rechecked resolv. It had the same ip addresses as it had the first time I logged on. Soooo...now I know what addresses to use. I just need to wait until I get off of work so that I can fidget around with the ip addresses of the nameserver and see if I can finally log on and access everything. Yeah for knoppix!

Kind Mastermind

Ok, here's a quick update...I inserted the nameserver ip addresses that I found via Knoppix...so...I am now surfing the net! w00t! Worked like a charm. Of course, I reinstalled Debian (again) just for the fun of it. So, I'm posting this while running window maker. Nice. Daddy-o likes!

Cheers