Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What to import/export via nfs?

Thread: What to import/export via nfs?

What to import/export via nfs?

Ok, so I've got this POS laptop that has a base Slack 8.1 installed on it (A,AP,N only), but not a lot of disk space left (500mb or so). Since I want to keep as much free as possible to allow me to transfer VLF's (very large files) to/from work.

However, I'd like to use it via the network around the house - on the couch, etc. The nice thing is that I have a nice machine, with a full install of Slack 8.1 . Since the 2 are on the network together, I'd like to export via NFS a lot of stuff to the laptop, instead of it sitting as a barely useful console only machine (not that i have anything against that) but I'd like to be able to have X, Mozilla, teh compilers, etc. available - and the laptop has not enough drive space for it.

So what do I import/export for max functionality? I'm thinking that /usr would be the thing, right? Then I just have to worry about having different configs (for X, etc.) in /etc right?

Good Guru

Re:What to import/export via nfs?

You can also use the notebook as dumb terminal and export X from the main box so that all the processing will take place on the main box.

NFS is just a way to share files via Network drive.

Right, I know that, and plan on doing that for some things. But I'd also like to be able to just run some of the apps - I can wait all nite to compile something, but I have to have room to install gcc, glibc, etc.

Good Guru

I don't know what you expect out of a notebook that small but my Debian base install with IceWM takes up only 320 MB or so without extra craps. So even with gcc and cpp, it would only be 400 MB Max. But what can you compile with only 100 MB of data space? Not much but that's still something.