Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Power supply replacing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power supply replacing

Power supply replacing

I have an older box that the power supply fan kinda broke, like it spins slower and loudly. So I either need to replace the fan or the whole unit, or possibly just buy a new case. My question is how do I tell what type of power suppy I have?
    There is a label on it, but I don't know what to look for, to find the generic model of the PSU.

Thanks!

Re:Power supply replacing

hi ya Gorn,
    ATX power supposadly can be switched from case to case w/o issue. i am not sure if this is true or not because i have never tried it, it seems like the cost for a power supply is about as much as a new case...

Gorn, you mentioned that this was an "older" computer. How old? Does it have an AT style m'board, be cause the power supplies are different than the ATX style, although I BELIEVE (I could be wrong) there are adapters that will let you use an ATX P/S on an AT m'board.

AT powersupplies do not have a logic circuit to turn them on so they will have an ON switch wired directy to the powersupply. An ATX will not have an on switch wired to it.

When I mean ON switch I mean the switch that you use to turn the computer on, usually in the front next to the reset button. Not the one that is physically mounted to the powersupply.

Jamin

Good Guru

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=3;threadid=5587;start=0#53797 date=1037292584]
    I BELIEVE (I could be wrong) there are adapters that will let you use an ATX P/S on an AT m'board.
    [/quote]

I want one then ;D

I never heard of them due to the logic board obviously necessary. But fi there are -- cool!

And gorn. The easy way to find out is this -- ATX is a like 6cm long ~24 pin connector (these are guesstimations, but as you will see not that relevant to be exact). AT is 2 5 or 6 pin connectors which btw, are polar. Messing up the order will blow your board and anything that relies on power from it. I did that once and killed 3 out of 4 sticks of EDO Ram, the CPU, the Mobo, the VGA card and floppy.

Rule of thumb: BLACK TO BLACK.

[quote author=HuggyBear link=board=3;threadid=5587;start=0#53811 date=1037298892]
    Rule of thumb: BLACK TO BLACK.
    [/quote]

Don't be a pussy.... Real men check for high voltage the correct way...

ME: hey dear mother in law, would you pick up those wires?
    HER: (picks up wires) Sure thing
    ME: Feel anything?
    HER: Nah
    ME: Okay, no extreme current in those wires...

Okay it's a single connector with 20 pins, shaped like [::::::::::] and it's a little over 4 cm

so i it seems ATX. The box is a 333 K6 from like 3-4 years ago.

Thanks for your help

Yup, that looks like ATX to me

[quote author=gorn link=board=3;threadid=5587;start=0#53996 date=1037560378]
    Okay it's a single connector with 20 pins, shaped like [::::::::::] and it's a little over 4 cm

so i it seems ATX. The box is a 333 K6 from like 3-4 years ago.

Thanks for your help
    [/quote]

ALL AT PSU connectors are split in 2 connectors, so that one is by all probablility ATX.