Thread: accessing NTFS partitions from RH8

accessing NTFS partitions from RH8

Hello everyone! lovely place you have here!

I have heard mixed feelings about mounting NTFS partitions form within Linux

some say it could **** it up just mounting it, and others say as long as its read only its fine

what do you all think? (wondering if i should stop messing with my NTFS on my dualboot machine)

Re:accessing NTFS partitions from RH8

i have no problems reading them, i have heeded everyones advice and not tried to write to it.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=5576;start=0#53674 date=1037137644]
    i have heeded everyones advice and not tried to write to it.
    [/quote]

yea me too, ive got too much musi@#$^ er i mean work related material on that partition to risk it

Good Guru

Read access is fine. The code there is pretty damn stable. Writing to the partition, is not recommended. Plan on it killing the data.

I have never encountered any problems mounting my winows partition as read-only.

cool, thanks guys/gals ;D now to try mapping a network drive haha!

[quote author=SaTaNcLaUz link=board=1;threadid=5576;start=0#53716 date=1037188969]
    [/quote]

If the NTFS drive is a network share, and not on the box itself, then you will be able to read/write to it to your heart's content without any problems whatsoever.

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=1;threadid=5576;start=0#53740 date=1037217268]
    [quote author=SaTaNcLaUz link=board=1;threadid=5576;start=0#53716 date=1037188969]
    [/quote]

If the NTFS drive is a network share, and not on the box itself, then you will be able to read/write to it to your heart's content without any problems whatsoever.
    [/quote]

o really? well THATS good news! ;D anyone know why it will only mess up on the local system?

The reason for that is because Samba and Windows both share files with smb (server messaging blocks) which is a protocol for sharing files, printers, serial ports and communications abstractions such as named pipes and mail slots between computers. Since the data is running over the wire, and both end hosts speak smb, they can properly negotiate the transaction. In essence, your Linux box does not know it is writing to an NTFS volume since the Windows box on the other end handles the job of writing the data it recieves to disk.

How exactly Linux may bugger a local NTFS filesystem, I do not know for sure. I just know that the possibility is there and that the NTFS kernel modules are still in an experimental stage.

interesting.... i hope it gets figured out! that would be awesome to be able to use it back-forth without any worries

thx everyone!