Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freebsd install help

Hybrid View

Freebsd install help

Hi,

I just got the FreeBSD 4.7 cd's. I already have Win2k and RH 7.3 on my hard disk and was trying to install FreeBSD on another partition however,
    the installation is completely different that windows or linux. my disk is broken up like this.

1st partition: win2k -ntfs
    2nd partition: rh7.3 -ext3
    3rd partiton: swap
    4th extended w/ 2 logical partitions: fat32
    -5th is free space
    6th is my data drive fat32

I'd like to install FreeBSD on the 5th partition but when I run Fdisk none of the partition types are familiar to me. What's the difference between a partition and a slice? Can LInux and FreeBSD use the same swap partition?

I'd like to use LILO to boot these OS's. Can anyone show me how to configure lilo to add FBSD as a boot choice?

Any pointers to tuts would be appreciated.

thanx,

Re:Freebsd install help

I believe you will find those questions pretty well answered in the FreeBSD Handbook and faqs at www.freebsd.org as well as info specific to installing 4.7. I recall that there is a also a HOWTO or mini-HOWTO at www.linuxdocs.org on sharing swap space with linux, but I never tried it. If you still have questions you can't get past with these resources, try www.bsdforums.org

FreeBSD uses one partition which is made up of different slices. For example say you have disk "A" which is 10 gb.

You want to use 4 gb in total for FreeBSD, make a partition that is 4 GB. Then your slices are pieces of that 4 gb partition. Unlike a linux or Windows where each slice is its own partition.

I assume if you're running linux then you most likely have lilo installed. Make sure, Make double sure, that you do not install a boot manager at all for FreeBSD. Edit your lilo config to boot FreeBSD. You have the option of doing that right after you partition and slice.

We can help you out if you need some more info. Just ask Schotty.

Good Guru

[quote author=elmore link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#53680 date=1037146498]
    We can help you out if you need some more info. Just ask Schotty.
    [/quote]

Yep ;D

Screaming Electron is a great BSD resource. No whining or people with God disorders (you know, the fucks that ridicule ya for not knowing this or that. I was at one board that some poor guy was flamed because he didnt know CIDR notation).

Elmore is pretty damn slick with FreeBSD. Kenshi is too. Then over at Screaming Electron, everyone there is pretty damn good at something. There is an amazing pool of talent.

I been thinking of trying FreeBSD out also, and had a few questions.

Does Free use same Linux kernel and do you have to configure it for your hardware?

All you have to do is follow the iinstallation routine to install it?

What about my Lucent Winmodem, will I be able to use the drivers that I use with Linux?

Thnx.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#54352 date=1038120689]

Does Free use same Linux kernel and do you have to configure it for your hardware? No, but a high degree of linux compatability is an option. The default kernel covers most hardware in my experience, but there are cases where it might help to recompile the kernel, e.g., apm support or sound cards, though these can usually be handled with modules too. I find the "beastie" kernel actually easier to recompile than linux.

All you have to do is follow the iinstallation routine to install it? Yes, but I recommend reading it carefully beforehand and having it to refer to during each step.

What about my Lucent Winmodem, will I be able to use the drivers that I use with Linux? I doubt it, but version 5.0 is due out soon.

Thnx.

[/quote]

[quote author=Blaqb0x link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#53627 date=1037074163]
    Hi,

I just got the FreeBSD 4.7 cd's. I already have Win2k and RH 7.3 on my hard disk and was trying to install FreeBSD on another partition however,
    the installation is completely different that windows or linux. my disk is broken up like this.

1st partition: win2k -ntfs
    2nd partition: rh7.3 -ext3
    3rd partiton: swap
    4th extended w/ 2 logical partitions: fat32
    -5th is free space
    6th is my data drive fat32
    [/quote]

That right there is enough information for me to give you the bad news. Unless you have the rh7.3 and swap partitions sharing an extended partition (which you didn't imply), then you are using 4 primary partitions. (Extended partitions count as 1 primary partition in this example. Logical partitions within them don't count.) So there are two problems. The first is that you're asking to install FreeBSD in a logical partition within a Windows extended partition. I seriously doubt that that's possible. (If it is, I'd be quite surprised.) Second is that you have 4 primary partitions already and IDE only supports 4, so you can't create another primary or extended partition. You'll have to aquire a second hard drive to create more partitions on. If you have SCSI, then the limit is 7, so you're still good to create 3 more partitions.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#54352 date=1038120689]

Does Free use same Linux kernel and do you have to configure it for your hardware?
    [/quote]

No and yes. FreeBSD uses the FreeBSD kernel, which is based upon the BSD 4.4 kernel from years back. You may have to recompile your kernel like in Linux, but do know it's a bit easier. You copy a default configuration file to whatever you want to name your kernel, uncomment the drivers you need, and compile with the typical make and make install. Any time you want to recompile your kernel, even after you do an upgrade, the file will remain so you needn't do any subsequent configuration unless you wish to add or remove new drivers. Here is a section of the default configuration file.

Code:
    # PCI Ethernet NICs.
    device          de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
    device          em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card (
    ``Wiseman'')
    device          txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
    device          vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
    # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
    device          miibus          # MII bus support
    device          dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
    device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
    device          pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs
    device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
    device          sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
    device          sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
    device          ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
    device          tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
    device          tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
    device          vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
    device          wb              # Winbond W89C840F
    device          xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
    device          bge             # Broadcom BCM570x (``Tigon III'')
    All you have to do is follow the iinstallation routine to install it?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. The installer is similar to Debian's and probably Slackware's. I would recommend becoming proficient with Linux before trying out FreeBSD, although some have went straight to FreeBSD without problems.

What about my Lucent Winmodem, will I be able to use the drivers that I use with Linux?
    Don't count on it. I believe there are a few winmodem drivers for FreeBSD, but not many. (I can't remember where they are if they even exist.) I would really recommend going out and buying a hardware modem. It's worth the money, and not just so you can use FreeBSD. I bought mine for about $50 and haven't regretted it yet.

lucent winmodem drivers are now included in the ports

/usr/ports/comm I think.

Port: ltmdm-1.4_3
    Path: /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm
    Info: Driver for the Lucent LT Winmodem chipset
    Maint: darius@dons.net.au
    Index: comms