Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freebsd install help

Re:Freebsd install help

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#55138 date=1039149195]
    Port: ltmdm-1.4_3
    Path: /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm
    Info: Driver for the Lucent LT Winmodem chipset
    Maint: darius@dons.net.au
    Index: comms
    [/quote]
    Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a try sometime soon. Someone mention to get a real hardware modem. Yes I know this, I guess I just been kinda stingy & lazy but do need to get one.

[quote author=elmore link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#53680 date=1037146498]
    I assume if you're running linux then you most likely have lilo installed. Make sure, Make double sure, that you do not install a boot manager at all for FreeBSD. Edit your lilo config to boot FreeBSD. You have the option of doing that right after you partition and slice.

We can help you out if you need some more info. Just ask Schotty.
    [/quote]

Can you create a boot floppy also? By this I mean can I create a boot floppy and then use Linux's Lilo to add Free?

Thnx.

Screaming Electron is a great BSD resource. No whining or people with God disorders (you know, the fucks that ridicule ya for not knowing this or that. I was at one board that some poor guy was flamed because he didnt know CIDR notation).
    DAMN!! You beat me to it! ;D

Over CIDR!?! Yeah, everybuddy knows everything about supernetting. :P

*Kernel_Killer pets his 5.0 rc2 box

Ok, I started messing around with booting Freebsd CD today and wanted to see how it will install.

On my 40gb HD, I would like to install Free on partition /dev/hda6, which is in an extended partition.

I didn't understand how to tell Freebsd Fdisk to use that empty partition.

Here is the specs for it:
    /dev/hda6=7197088, start point= 932-1827...this is roughly over 7gb in size. This is how it looks using Linux fdisk.

How do I tell Free to use it during the fdisk install section?

I hope this makes sense!
    :

Good Guru

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=10;threadid=5569;start=0#57342 date=1041935020]

DAMN!! You beat me to it! ;D

Over CIDR!?! Yeah, everybuddy knows everything about supernetting. :P

*Kernel_Killer pets his 5.0 rc2 box
    [/quote]

Yeah, and then some foreign guy that I think was asian, but nonetheless couldnt speak english if his life depended on it decided to join in too. Needless to say that my rep went from the New Kid on the Block to Board Asshole when I basically helped the guy out and told the few dickheads where they can shove it. After a while, I gave up. Screaming Electron showed up about 6 months later, and was alot more hospitable. Kinda like the LJR of the BSD land. Thats why I have been using that as my sig. I have searched high and low for a good BSD site, and none had existed prior.

[me=Schotty]looks at openbsd 3.2 CDR he just burned ... 2 months ago ;D In awaiting of a computer to install it on yet once again ..[/me]

I give up on trying Freebsd for now. I need to do some reading up before I figure out how to install it on /dev/hda6, well I may change it to /dev/hda7 since I've installed RootLinux on hda6.

Thnx anyway.

Come on GhostDawg. You can spare some space someware for a FreeBSD install. ;D

True, I have the room, I just need to read up on Free some more. Or I'm thinking of adding a 10gb hd to the system.

I just been lazy to add the extra drive.

Good Guru

Give BSD a shot. FreeBSD is apparently more user friendly than OpenBSD. I am more of a OpenBSD guy, but the system is great. BSDs in general are an excellent alternative to Linux even. The kernel is better too. Once you get past the install woes (which I am suprised you actually ran into), the system will resemble Linux with only minor changes to the /dev tree.

I finally got Freebsd installed and trying it out. I'm having a few problems getting KDE to run. When I type startkde, I get an error but I forgot what it is. I will have to post the exact message when I get home.

Just thought I would let you guys/gals know this. I will be needing your help! ;D