Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Developer's Dilemma: Perl or PHP?

Thread: Developer's Dilemma: Perl or PHP?

Mentor

Developer's Dilemma: Perl or PHP?

Speed, quality, price. Pick two. You have no doubt heard that mantra before, but PHP and Perl offer all three.

The question is, how do you choose between the two programming languages, which are both insanely popular for Web development?

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/19912.html

Re:Developer's Dilemma: Perl or PHP?

I was pondering that question today!! :P

Perl is insanely hard to maintain after a few months (weeks even) if you are not EXTREMELY careful about not obfuscating your code. Also, Perl 6 will be totally different from Perl 5, so code could be incompatible.

PHP has a cleaner syntax to some people (I don't like it, but that's irrelevant), but there have been some nasty PHP security holes in the past. There's a saying that says "Once insecure, always insecure".

These are some of the cons of each languages. You should decide what you are ready to sacrifice.

Simple, pick perl. It's biggest con (IMHO) is that Perl-6 is going to have a lot of diffrences that will not be compatible at first ... but there is nothing forcing anyone to upgrade to perl-6 once it is out.

PHP

Its faster to pickup if you know C/C++, and if youre using it for webdevelopment, its also faster on the server side

I'd like to, eventually, make something similar to this http://freshmeat.net/projects/ethere...2C92%2C22%2C84

Since I know nothing of programming, what would I need to learn in order to make it? This one seems to be based on Perl and MySQL. Could I do something similar on PHP?

You could.

Advisor

I would have to go for PHP, because it's just so damn cool ;D

8) PHP 8)

I like to program in PHP. I've used Perl before, and it's just soo confusing to me. PHP is easier IMO.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=9;threadid=5564;start=0#54276 date=1037939128]
    You could.
    [/quote]
    Should it be easier to do in Perl or PHP?