Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

how can I access Internet with the cable and Linux Mandrake 9.0. Help me please.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how can I access Internet with the cable and Linux Mandrake 9.0. Help me please.

Associate

how can I access Internet with the cable and Linux Mandrake 9.0. Help me please.

Hi,

I don't know how can I configure Linux Mandrake 9.0 (I use KDE 3.0) so I can access the Internet with it (right now I'm under Win).
    I've got the Cable, but the modem, is connected to my network card, and so, I don't know where to go to configure Linux Mandrake 9.0 so I can access the Internet . Can somebody help me ????
    Please help me.
    Thanks a lot for all the help that you can give .
    Bye, and see you later.

Re:how can I access Internet with the cable and Linux Mandrake 9.0. Help me plea

hello,
    if you have a connection to the modem over ethernet then it should be quite easy - it will use either pppoe (ppp over ethernet) or DHCP - do you know which it using?

if DHCP then it should be as easy as going into harddrake (i think that is waht mandrake calls it) - selecting eth0 to be set up for DHCP, if pppoe then it may be a bit trickier, there is a package called rp-pppoe - i also think mandrake has something that walks you through this, have you given that a shot?

Associate

Re:how can I access Internet with the cable and Linux Mandrake 9.0. Help me plea

The program that I use (the one from my ISP) under Win98, seems to use PPPoE.
    I looked on the CD that my ISP gave me, and there is a package, named: rp-pppoe-1_7-1_i386.rpm, is it a good version ????
    I tried to install, following the instructions of the docs that came with it, but I couldn't get it to work ... I'm a newbie ... and so, I'm pretty sure I made something wrong ...
    Also, I saw on a website about PPPoE (I forgot the adress ), that it was built in a version of the Linux kernel that Linux Mandrake 9.0 uses, am I right????
    So, I also would like to know, now that I've isntalled the package of my ISP, does it has "erased" the one that is built in the Linux kernel (maybe the one who is built in is better...)????
    Can you help me to configure my Linux to be able to access the Internet with it ???? Please help me.
    Thanks a lot for your help .
    Bye, and see you later.

hello,
    odds are the this is apready installed with mandrake - the progname that you need to run is drakconnect - if this is not availible in the menu please isntall it from the CDs. It should work from other postings i have seen - if not we can find another way to get it working.

Associate

Ok, I'll try to test that as soon as possible. Thanks a lot .
    I'll post to tell you if it works or not .
    I have another question:
    I saw on a website about PPPoE (I forgot the adress ), that it was built in a version of the Linux kernel that Linux Mandrake 9.0 uses, am I right ????
    So, I also would like to know, now that I've isntalled the package of my ISP, does it has "erased" the one that is built in the Linux kernel (maybe the one who is built in is better ...)????
    Bye, and see you later.

hello,
    yea - i would not having installed that because it is most likely shipped with mandrake, i use redhat and debian and pppoe comes with both and redhat installs in by default, and mandrake is quite similar to redhat. i really doubt any harm was caused though.

Why would cable internet use PPPoE? I never seen that before.... Click on the Mandrake Control Center icon on your desktop and select Network&Internet, then Connection. From there you can configure your internet.....With a cable modem though it should be as easy as tellling it to use DHCP and get an IP address....

PS- if you dont have a Mandrake Control Center icon for whatever reason, just open terminal and run drakconf .

Who's your ISP? If we know them then maybe someone who's on the same ISP can help you.

Associate

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=5556;start=0#53516 date=1036914310]
    Who's your ISP? If we know them then maybe someone who's on the same ISP can help you.
    [/quote]
    My ISP is Wanadoo.
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=5556;start=0#53499 date=1036886173]
    hello,
    odds are the this is apready installed with mandrake - the progname that you need to run is drakconnect - if this is not availible in the menu please isntall it from the CDs. It should work from other postings i have seen - if not we can find another way to get it working.
    [/quote]
    I wanted to try what you said, but I don't know how to launch drakconnect, is there a command that I could type in a console???
    [quote author=rick420 link=board=1;threadid=5556;start=0#53515 date=1036914012]
    Why would cable internet use PPPoE? I never seen that before.... Click on the Mandrake Control Center icon on your desktop and select Network&Internet, then Connection. From there you can configure your internet.....With a cable modem though it should be as easy as tellling it to use DHCP and get an IP address....

PS- if you dont have a Mandrake Control Center icon for whatever reason, just open terminal and run drakconf .
    [/quote]
    I tried that, and it seems that it doesn't work . Can you tell me exactly what to do???? (Maybe I made something wrong.)
    Bye, and see you later.

Good Guru

Have you setup your NIC for DHCP at all?