Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

newbie needs basic setup help!

Thread: newbie needs basic setup help!

muppet-boy

newbie needs basic setup help!

hi

i desparately need help setting up a basic network..
    to include 1 linux machine running mandrake 8.2 prosuite
    1 winXP machine
    i've just installed mandrake using all the recommended settings.. and ticked install ftp/apache/samba/webmin/wizdrake etc.
    i entered in the info it asked for.. ip :192.168.0.10, hostname linux.local, gateway 192.168.0.1 - this is the ip of the xp machine, subnet on both machines 255.255.255.0.
    when installation finished, both machines will ping eachother, so that works.. but nothing else. samba isnt setup yet, but i thought at least ftp and apache would work on defaults for the time being! - they work locally on the linux machine.
    i dont know what i've missed or done wrong. i dont know where to start!
    can anyone help? get me started in the right direction?

many thanks

nev

Re:newbie needs basic setup help!

What do you want to be able to do?
    Just share files?
    or access the linux box from windows, e.g ftp or www?
    Do you want to be able to access the Windoze machine from linux?
    Do you want them to do backflips?? lol

You say ftp and Apache work locally, is you firewall on? Maybe the firewall is blocking them from the other machine.

There was another thread in here somewhere that covers the Samba Server quite well, prolly 1 for Apache and ftp as well?
    Good Luck

Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

muppet-boy

hi
    i'd like to be able to share files n printers.. ie samba. and use www and ftp... i havent tried to get samba to work till i can get www to work. linux doesnt need to be able to access M$. i dont know about firewalls on linux... like i say - i'm new! but i think its system settings/config as opposed to specific s like apache or ftp... thanx

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by muppet-boy
    i havent tried to get samba to work till i can get www to work. l
    So you are trying to get Apache running? What problem are you having?

Jim H

muppet-boy

Quote Originally Posted by JimH

So you are trying to get Apache running? What problem are you having?

Jim H
    like i said in a previous post.. it works locally - ie - i can see it on the local machine.. however, i cant see it on the other machine - this problem works both ways - i have iis set up on the xp machine - and the linux machine cant see that either... its like something isnt configured right.. or i've missed something.. but like i say.. i'm a complete linux newbie.. so i dont know how to begin to correct the problem.. i dunno if the settings i have made so far are even correct

nev

JimH

Do you have a firewall running on the Linux box blocking external access?

Jim H

muppet-boy

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Do you have a firewall running on the Linux box blocking external access?
    as far as i know.. no.. but thats not deffinate.. how do i tell?

nev

JimH

That will depend on whether drake 8.2 is using ipchains or iptables. These will list the current firewall rules.

ipchains -L

or..

iptables -L
    iptables -t nat -L
    iptables -t mangle -L

Jim H