Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy needs help with Redhat 8.0

new guy needs help with Redhat 8.0

Hi all, well here are my two problems

1.) If I leave my machine for any length of time when I come back the screen is black (once red) and the power LED on the case is flashing. Moving the mouse or hitting the keys does nothing and I'm force to reboot.

2.) After auto-updating U guess one of the files was to update Modzilla (isnt that the standard Browser?) and now when I start it up it quickly loads a redhat site but quickly terminates within the first second.

Thanks for any help.

Re:new guy needs help with Redhat 8.0

[quote author=bdmst16 link=board=1;threadid=5526;start=0#53245 date=1036634984]
    Hi all, well here are my two problems

1.) If I leave my machine for any length of time when I come back the screen is black (once red) and the power LED on the case is flashing. Moving the mouse or hitting the keys does nothing and I'm force to reboot.
    [/quote]
    hello,
    is this a laptop? anyway - disable power management, there is no doubt a GUI config tool for this but i don't know what it is. i would try to delete the links (like short cuts) in rm /etc/rc3.d/*apmd and rm /etc/rc5.d/*apmd and see if that helps. also, have you tried playing with the screensaver options?

[quote author=bdmst16 link=board=1;threadid=5526;start=0#53245 date=1036634984]
    2.) After auto-updating U guess one of the files was to update Modzilla (isnt that the standard Browser?) and now when I start it up it quickly loads a redhat site but quickly terminates within the first second.

Thanks for any help.
    [/quote]

thats wierd, okay - save a local copy of you bookmarks and anything else you may want in ~/.mozilla (~ means your home directory) then do a rm -rf ~/.mozilla and see if that fixes it up. if not, grab off the latest mozilla from www.mozilla.org -> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r....2b-sea.tar.gz this one works nicely for me. do a tar -zxf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.2b-sea.tar.gz, cd into the directory mozilla-installer and run ./mozilla-install if i remember correctly.

btw - welcome to linux junior

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=5526;start=0#53246 date=1036636004]
    there is no doubt a GUI config tool for this but i don't know what it is. i would try to delete the links (like short cuts) in rm /etc/rc3.d/*apmd and rm /etc/rc5.d/*apmd and see if that helps.[/quote]

yea, tool to use:

chkconfig

man chkconfig for help but chkconfig --del apmd should do

Thanks for the quick reply

Well modzilla is working again but when I tried to delete the shortcut to APM is said I didnt have permission.

I played around with the screen saver, but when the time elapsed that the screen saver should have come on, the machine again went into limbo. Blank screen and flashing LED power. Would the system log contain any info? Cause it keeps displaying the message that eth0 successfully shut down right before everything goes.

I went into service configuration and stoped APMD from there, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for any help

Ok its not APM. I double checked to make sure it was disabled but after 10 mins or so the same thing happended. Do I have something wrong with my screensaver?

try xset -dpms that might do it.

apm is not it... drats! well you do need to be user root, you can become root by opening a terminal typing su - and then entering roots password.

as gorn mentioned the xset -dpms command will turn off the power saving on the moniter, this can also be turned off in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config, if you don't mind editing it, just open it with any editor and find Option "dpms", then comment it out by placing a # in front of it.

may i ask what kind of system you, in particular the moniter and vid card.

Again thanks for the help guys, I've looked around for clues, but no such luck.

My monitor is an old Gateway Vivitron 17" and my VC is a GeForce 2 MX, PII, 256 ram

Its going blank after about 10 minutes or so, I though it might have been linked to the screensaver for whatever reason( mostly since I've never seen a screensaver yet) but it just popped up now (the screensaver).

So unless the problem went away I have no clue where to begin looking.

it definately sounds like the display power saving...
    any chance you installed the nvidia drivers?

Nope, I haven't installed any NVidia drivers at all :-\

Lord, I hope that is the problem

Well here is some more info to help

This time when the monitor went blank (like sleep mode) I was able to get the monitor to turn back on (power light went from blinking orange to solid green)

But the Power LED on the case still blinks and the keyboard doesn't respond (Num key, Cap key).