Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One QWERTY, One DVORAK

Re:One QWERTY, One DVORAK

you can download a dvorak key map and then just xmodmap it, i bind F6 to toggle between the two

I can only imagine the confusion I would experience switching from a QWERTY keyboard to a DVORAK keyboard ???

Advisor

[quote author=I'm A Penguin link=board=3;threadid=5522;start=0#53534 date=1036957344]
    I can only imagine the confusion I would experience switching from a QWERTY keyboard to a DVORAK keyboard ???
    [/quote]

I agree, especially if you got used to your DVORAK at home, and then went to a friends or something and tried to use his QWERTY keyboard. Too much confusion. I'll probably still try DVORAK once i get a new keyboard though, rip out the keys on my old one ;D

im trying to use both, i try dvorak as much as possible but use qwerty when needing to type fast (IMs/Coding)

hmm just a though but couldn't they make a dvorak keyboard that didn't need to be remapped? it was just wired that way? cuz like i know that when i switch between a us and a german keyboard and don't remap, it's close enough, but there are those certain keys (mostly the umlauts) that aren't there, you get like a \ or something instead. but if a dvorak keyboard was just wired so that it sent the right keycodes as if it were a qwerty despite all the keys being in different places....

i dunno, it makes sense in my head

*frown*

Mentor

Don't all keyboards use a keymap? So it doesn't detect the letter t being sent for example, it detects character 46 or whatever, and then through the mapping goes, AH HA Thats a T. Am I right in that? Or totally wrong?
    CP

[quote author=CP link=board=3;threadid=5522;start=0#55664 date=1039682778]
    Don't all keyboards use a keymap? So it doesn't detect the letter t being sent for example, it detects character 46 or whatever, and then through the mapping goes, AH HA Thats a T. Am I right in that? Or totally wrong?
    CP
    [/quote]
    If I understand what you are saying, then you are correct. The keyboard sends scan codes and it's up to the software that receives the codes to interpret them. If I recall correctly. A different scan code is sent upon the depressing of a key than it's release. Therefore a keymap is necessary to carry out this translation.
    I think Grimey is saying that he would like a DVORAK keyboard that returns the same scan codes when he hits say the "Q" key as would be returned by a regular QWERTY keyboard when the "Q" key is hit. ie one can swap between these keyboards without having to change the software key mapping.
    I don't know, maybe you can get such a keyboard, but it's no real trouble to load up an alternative keymap.

Good Guru

Unless things have REALLY changed since my programming days, a keyboard sends a number to the PC. The number should be universal, but if not, that would explain the need for drivers alot of keyboards. But either way, the software sees a value come down the pipe, such as $A9 and then the program can do whatever with it. So if it was an ASCII 'F' then tyhe computer could be told to display that on the screen.

so learning dvorak over winter break worked well, but then school started typing in qwerty again... AHHHH its bad enough that i couldnt type, but then this jerk was like "you want me to type that for you?" [jerk == grimey]

so yeah using qwerty now to remember how.

when dvorak got frusterated i was like eh, i can type qwerty if i need speed. now i lack speed in qwerty! its not a fun thing to learn anymsre, its something i need to. but i imagine it will come back easy... hopefully