Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

One QWERTY, One DVORAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One QWERTY, One DVORAK

One QWERTY, One DVORAK

I have two keyboards hooked into this box, one usb (qwerty) and one ps/2 (dvorak)

now my keyboard isn't really a dvorak, i popped off the keys and put em in the right place. i can make it dvorak by xmodmap, but then both keyboards are dvorak.

can i have my usb map qwerty, and my ps/2 dvorak?

thanks!

[edit] anyone have any good teaches typing program?[/edit]

Mentor

Re:One QWERTY, One DVORAK

Mavis Beacon is good, but I don't think there is a linux version, dunno if it works is wine either.

tuxtyper!!

and oh - can't ya make a new input device, call it keyboard1, and edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to take two? thats how i would go about it, of course i dont have a dvork keyboard...

Advisor

Hmm, I've always been tempted to attempt DVORAK, although, I'm not sure if it would really be worth it. How many people in the world actually use DVORAK?

meh twould still be fun

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=3;threadid=5522;start=0#53280 date=1036640527]
    Hmm, I've always been tempted to attempt DVORAK, although, I'm not sure if it would really be worth it. How many people in the world actually use DVORAK?
    [/quote]

Not alot, but enough for the manufacturers to still produce them. From what I hear its a better design.

So you can just use xmodmap to create your own dvorak keyboard eh? Do they make a program that lets you get used to dvorak on a qwerty keyboard? I would like to try dvorak but I don't want to pull out half the keys on my keyboard and I want to be used to the new keys before I blindly set all of X to dvorak.

Advisor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=5522;start=0#53414 date=1036788856]
    [quote author=PK link=board=3;threadid=5522;start=0#53280 date=1036640527]
    [/quote]

Not alot, but enough for the manufacturers to still produce them. From what I hear its a better design.
    [/quote]

Yeah, it is a better design, it was designed for speed, the most commonly used keys are in the easiest to reach places, as opposed to qwerty, which was originally on typewriters, where the common keys are not beside each other, so that the typewriter heads would not stick to each other or hit each other as much.

I am using dvorak right now. I type about 4 words per minute but it's picking up. It took about 5 minutes to type this.