Thread: RH8 startup help

RH8 startup help

Ok when I start up RH8 I get to a point where it asks me if I want to remove the configuration for the USB connection for my cable modem, I switched it back to the normal NIC card because of windows issues(mostly). But when I tell it to remove the configuration for it there is some sort of error and that portion fails and we resume the startup. Now I tell it to Do Nothing, but if I weren't at the computer it would take an additional 30 seconds for linux to boot up. Does anyone know how I can either remove this "configuration" myself or at least get around RH asking me EVERY time I boot up?

Re:RH8 startup help

sure! rm /etc/rc3.d/*kudzo and rm /etc/rc5.d/*kudzo - redhat-config-services is a gui that can also be used to disable it.

Disabling kudzu services would be better becoz sometimes you might need it back in action?

Good Guru

[quote author=gigsvoo link=board=7;threadid=5512;start=0#53129 date=1036468995]
    Disabling kudzu services would be better becoz sometimes you might need it back in action?
    [/quote]

Yeah, I would just run a sys v init editor and disable the kudzu daemon there. I think that it would be a bad idea to totally remove it ... but thats me.

the files in /etc/rc#.d are not files but links to the good stuff in /etc/initd.d/

Good Guru

ahh, its been a while since I had to go nitty gritty. and that was before the good ole guys at RedHat/Mandrake/SuSE and such were nice and did the symlinks. It was the actual files. To disable the shit was to comment it out :-\

Man how times have changed ... Then again that was Slack 3.1 (or whatever Slack 96 was) .....

I think Kudzu is very useful if you wanto migrate a Linux system HDD to another machine with different hardware configurations. But one think is if there are some hardware that in the new box had not been compiled as module or kernel, or even the different processor types then a customized version of kernel should be done rather than Kudzu will do that for you right? Correct me if I am wrong about Kudzu.
    :-X

Thanx everyone for the info... I just ran rh service configurator and disabled kudzu... NOw I have a nice smooth startup once again!!!