Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution help

Resolution help

Hello everyone,

I just reinstalled RH8.0 and now I can't seem to get past the screen resolution of 800 x 600. I would like to get 1024 x 786, but when ever I try it, X won't display anything. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Good Guru

Re:Resolution help

what exactly did you do that caused it to not display 1024x768?

Did you try running setup as root and got thru the X configuation tool?

I didn't do anything exactly. I just ran the setup and wiped the harddrive and started fresh from 8.0 and I never could get it to display the 1024x786 size. I am stuck in 800x600 hell!!!!!! AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

And I just ran the redhat-config-xfree86 and when I try and change it to the 1024.786 option and do a cont-alt-backspace my monitor then comes up blank and then goes to "sleep"

Please help :'(

Good Guru

Verify that the monitor is setup right. you may be going out of range of your refresh rates that the monitor actually supports.

Nope I shouldn't be going out of range I looked at their documentation on Gateways site. Everything matched up. One more place to look is the windows configuration if I can even get that info in Windows :P

hello,
    is there any thing from the logs? also - can you give the specs on the moniter and vid card?

Specs, well I can try, not sure what exactly you are looking for but I can give you all I know.

Video Card:
    NVIDIA TNT2 M64 w/ 32mb ram

Monitor:
    Gateway2000 EV700 monitor w/ Horizontal refresh rate of 30-70KHz and a Vertical refresh rate of 50-120KHz

Not sure what else you'd be looking for but let me know if that doesn't answer you question though.

hello,
    i had this issue with a TnT2 - this is from the NVIdia manual.

Option IgnoreEDID boolean

Default: Option "IgnoreEDID" "off" means EDIDs are used to validate modes. This option disables ( on ) or enables ("off&quot probing of EDIDs from your monitor. Requested modes are compared against values obtained from your monitor EDIDs (if any) during mode validation. Caution: Some monitors may not provide accurate information about its physical capabilities. However, ignoring the values that the monitor provides (i.e., setting the option to on ) may help to validate a certain mode but could result in serious problems and, therefore, should be used with extreme care.

so try Option "IgnoreEDID" "on" - i am guessing that moniter can do 1600x1200...

[quote author=pbharris link=board=6;threadid=5427;start=0#52805 date=1035951538]
    hello,
    i had this issue with a TnT2 - this is from the NVIdia manual.

Option IgnoreEDID boolean

Default: Option "IgnoreEDID" "off" means EDIDs are used to validate modes. This option disables ( on ) or enables ("off&quot probing of EDIDs from your monitor. Requested modes are compared against values obtained from your monitor EDIDs (if any) during mode validation. Caution: Some monitors may not provide accurate information about its physical capabilities. However, ignoring the values that the monitor provides (i.e., setting the option to on ) may help to validate a certain mode but could result in serious problems and, therefore, should be used with extreme care.

so try Option "IgnoreEDID" "on" - i am guessing that moniter can do 1600x1200...
    [/quote]

Hey this didn't work either... I really am getting quite frustrated with this. Is there a way for me to use the RH Installer to JUST do the video settings again? I want to be able to test out different drivers and things and then have it test out the resolutions for me with out having to edit the xfree86config file by hand :'( Thanx so much for the help...

I guess I am just resisting changing distros because this is that last thing stopping me from using this RH install, I should have never uninstalled 7.3 I had that one working quite well! Oh well maybe I'll try Mandy.

hello,
    the best tool for me has always been xf86config it asks a bunch of questions, you answer and it sets things up for you.