Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Network card not being detected by kernel

Thread: Network card not being detected by kernel

Network card not being detected by kernel

After I compiled the kernel in LFS 3.3 with support for every card in the menuconfig, I get the following error messages when I boot:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: Unknown interface: No such device
    SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
    SIOCSIBRDADDR: No such device
    eth0: Unknown interface: No such device
    Setting up the default gateway... [FAILED]
    SIOCADDRT: No such device

All that along with a message saying an unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20network

I tried a D-link DE220P PnP ISA card and a Farralon PCI card, both result in the same errors. Any help would be appreciated!

Mentor

Re:Network card not being detected by kernel

Don't enable every card, because you will always get errors unless you have every card. What kind of card do you have? You need to compile modules support into the kernel and then install that module. It makes things easier. If you ever upgrade you don't need to do a whole recompile, just remove the module.
    CP
    <edit> Sorry I see what cards you used there. Find out what chipset they use and post here </edit>

The farallon pci card, the one that I want to use has a digital chipset (21041-PB)

Mentor

OK I just had a look through, there is an option for
    DeCchip Tulip (dc21x4x) pci support.
    Select that option as a module. You will have to recompile the kernel or else you will keep getting the error about S20network. You can select other network cards if you want, but make sure you only select them as modules. Do that, then reboot. You will most probably still get the error. Once you have rebooted login as root and type
    insmod tulip
    Try that and see what happens
    CP

Okay, I recompiled the kernel but when I boot and try the insmod it gives me this:

IRQ routing conflict for 00:0.0 have IRQ 11, want IRQ 15

Mentor

That shouldn't matter I don't think. Type
    cat /proc/modules
    and put the output here. Did you still get the error about S20network? If so what was it?
    CP