Thread: reinstall Grub to main boot record

reinstall Grub to main boot record

I run a dual boot system, Windows XP Pro and Red Hat 8.0 (kernels: 2.4.18-14 & 2.4.18-17.8.0) "I'm in the process of learning Linux so I still have to run Windows to get my work done on time."
    Anyway, I had a faithful Windows lock up that requred me to do a C:\fdisk /mbr to clear out Grub so I could get Windows back up (long story). Will I have two boot floppies, ones for the 2.4.18-14 kernel & the other for the 2.4.18-17.8.0 kernel. My 2.4.18-14 floppy works great my 2.4.18-17.8.0 doesn't. So when I do a make bzDisk in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-17.8.0 directory it comes up and tells me my kernel is too big. Which it is. It's about 2,525kb. So, how do I either shrink my bzImage or reload GRUB onto my main boot record? My preference is to reload it into my mbr if possible.

Re:reinstall Grub to main boot record

to reload grub.
    /usr/sbin/grub
    that will load the grub console
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    to find where the boot is
    root (hd0,1) or the hd that the last command gives you
    setup (hd0) to install in the mbr

hope this helps

hi courage,
    did you check out the PET -> http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=54

if so and it did not help you please let me know what problems there were so i can make a better PET

Good Guru

The absolute cure for everything:

Drink a bottle of Wild Turkey. Call me in the morning. If your head doesnt hurt, you didnt drink enough. And you have a better liver than I.

If your head hurts, then you should learn to work better so you dont have to work with pain.

Repeat until issue solved.

[quote author=Gaenya link=board=1;threadid=5464;start=0#52778 date=1035922778]
    to reload grub.
    /usr/sbin/grub
    that will load the grub console
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    to find where the boot is
    root (hd0,1) or the hd that the last command gives you
    setup (hd0) to install in the mbr

hope this helps
    [/quote]
    Still having problems. I found the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and it looks like this:
    #boot=/dev/had
    default-0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-17.8.0)
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-17.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.18-17.8.0.img
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
    (same as above only with 2.4.18-14)
    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

When I went /sbin/grub I got the grub dialog. Then when I tried to open /boot/grub/stage1 it wouldn't open properly. I just got 0's and boxes, nothing I could read or make out. I tried doing the root (hd0,1) command and it told me to go drink some wild turkey. So in child like sentences, when I first go into /sbin/grub and it pulls up the grub dialog what are the commands to enter?

Got it! I did a root (hd1,1) and then a setup (hd0), and that did it. Thanks for your help and I think I'll have that shot of Wild Turkey now.

Good Guru

Sweet -- a true man ;D

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=5464;start=0#52787 date=1035935981]
    The absolute cure for everything:

Drink a bottle of Wild Turkey. Call me in the morning. If your head doesnt hurt, you didnt drink enough. And you have a better liver than I.

If your head hurts, then you should learn to work better so you dont have to work with pain.

Repeat until issue solved.
    [/quote]

Dude, the last time I drank and got drunk I had about ten or so JD shots and about ten or so JD & Coke chasers (my buddy, the designated driver estimates that each JD/C had 1 to 2 shots/oz of whiskey in them. That puts the total consumed at about 20-30 oz of whiskey. A sobering detail). Got rip roarin' drunk. Woke up without a headache. Just how much do you suppose would have been enough? BTW...I drank all of that in about an hour to an hour and a half. I decided the morning after that little escapade that I had better stop drinking or I was going to kill myself. Strangely enough, I was discussing that little episode in my sordid little life with a coworker a few days ago. Then we got emails about a 19 year old AF member who died of alcohol poisoning. Man, I am glad I stopped drinking! That could have been me!

Good Guru

The missing part --

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBBLE

The Turk. That bird will have its way with you. And once youre drunk, it rapes you repeatedly. Since I am a masochist, I enjoy it.