Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Second Nic problems

Thread: Second Nic problems

Second Nic problems

Hey all I installed my new nic, RH8.0 configured it and I went into network config to make sure it was the same as my first nic. (Except IP). All setting look good I can ping both IPs from RH8.0 but cannot access the internet. A ping of www.linuxjunior.org, www.yahoo.com returns the same error

icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

./ifconfig shows both cards the same except IP addresses

Also since I installed the new nic the system is butt slow... Takes like 10 to 15 seconds to load a terminal window.

Help me MR/MS wizards

Ras

Re:Second Nic problems

hello,
    which one has a commnection to the internet? also are you running a fire wall? if so which device is trusted ?

Are both cards in the same subnet? Is your default route set properly? Which one does the local host name point to?

Good Guru

Problem with having the same card is that sometimes the OS confused which module for which one to use although that had been eliminated with PCI cards lately.

So check your gateway setting ( in /etc/sysconfig/network file ) and/or hosts file to make sure that you have localhost setting correct as well as your IP addresses and name setting are not commented in /etc/hosts.

The terminal window loading butt slow is most likely due to the screwy localhost setting.

HTH

Good Guru

I ran into that with my dialup shit. It was essentially a dns issue. Make sure that you have your config similar to this, but have an entry for each card instead of one (like I do)

/etc/hosts.conf :
    Code:
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain   localhost leinenkugel leinenkugel.schotty.net
    192.168.0.64    leinenkugel     leinenkugel.schotty.net
    See the 127.0.0.1 line -- make sure thats there, otherwise you are going to be living in a world of pain. And another thing -- make sure that each hostname that your PC is referred to is listed. ESPECIALLY X!! You can find out the hostname that X is looking for by checking both /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network .

These two files will have a hostname listed :
    Code:
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    Make damn sure that if you have one listed that it is referred to in the /etc/hosts.conf or all hell WILL break loose.

I had to get rid of mine, due to the damn dial up crap. I still aint sure I figured that one out .....

Thanks for all the suggestions/recommendations I will be busy when I get home tonight.

I did mess with it Friday (We are buying a house Computers have become second place).

The Nic is a netgear FA311 and the driver that RH8.0 picked was NETXXX not the FA311 driver. I grabbed the driver from the floppy ran a insmod and it said that the driver was compiled with GCC 2 and I am running GCC 3. It said there were problems between the two and terminated.

So I grabbed the *.c and *.h file from the folder and when I ran make it blew up with numerous problems. Does anyone have this nic and if so does anyone know where I can get a GCC3 compatible driver?

Most drivers I have seen are for GCC2

Thanks
    Ras

Good Guru

Have you had problem with RH 8.0's driver?? Since FA311 seems to be well supported, I don't think RH's driver will have any problem with it.

Yahoo!!! I got it working and this time without having to do a bunch of network filling in crap. All I did was reloaded RH8.0 good thing I had not spent much time working on installing aftermarket stuff.

Thanks all

Ras