Thread: tough red hat upgrade question

tough red hat upgrade question

I have a hp server that has a netraid card in it and long story short redhat's anaconda does not detect it correctly. During the install I had to use noprobe and specify the megaraid driver.

Now I have run the upgrade and wanted to upgrade to the 2.4.18 kernel from 2.4.7. The upgrade seemed to go fine, but when I try to boot with the 2.4.18 kernel it stops in a kernel panic saying the init is wrong. From what I can determine this is because it is loading the symbios scsi driver instead of the megaraid scsi driver so It cannot read the disk. 2.4.7 kernel still boots fine.

My question is how does redhat determine what modules to load based on which kernel you boot? I have looked at modules.conf and it is correct. and it would not change from one kernel to the other anyways, but somewhere there is obviously a difference in the way it boots one kernel from the other.

Re:tough red hat upgrade question

hello,
    is this new kernel from redhat or one you made your self? If is one you made your self did you load the redhat config?

It's a stock binary kernel from redhat. I got it using their update utility.

Wow - like you said tough one.

My next cource would to be start poking around in /etc/sysconfig/ - there are several files in there which can be modified to pass extra paramters in.

I found the problem someone over on linuxnewbie.org figured it out. it was the initrd.img that was created. It reverted back to the scsi card it though it detected not the one that is really in there that I had told it when I installed. I just created a new initrd.img with the proper modules.

ah - okay! good job - thanks for letting us know.