Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A free, open-source Outlook alternative?

Thread: A free, open-source Outlook alternative?

A free, open-source Outlook alternative?

Re:A free, open-source Outlook alternative?

Don't we already have one of these? Some GNOME program, I think.

SuSE targets MS Exchange users with new groupware package http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10...4.shtml?tid=30

Kind Mastermind

I think that there are two Outlook-alikes: Nautilus and KDE. When KDE reaches 3.2 status, there should be a pim/email proggie that will have the ability to use M$ Exchange (just like ximian's connector software, but free). While I believe that having an Outlook-alike is not a bad thing, I just don't see it as essential to Linux domination. A nice supporting player, sure. But not a prerequisite for widespread adoption. Just my .02.

Cheers

That would be evolution - i think it can even talk to MS exchange servers.

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=19;threadid=5415;start=0#52545 date=1035503588]
    That would be evolution - i think it can even talk to MS exchange servers.
    [/quote]

Nope. Tried. It needs some connector like Ximians or so.

not so!! well... sorta...

i can get my mail thru Evolution, and we use Exchange...

but... all i can get is my Inbox... no contacts or calendar or anything else.

evidently, our mail server admins set up some sort of IMAP to piggy back along with the exchange servers for just this purpose, so it is possible

i can get all the details if you would like, shoot me a pm

Good Guru

[quote author=SaTaNcLaUz link=board=19;threadid=5415;start=0#53826 date=1037303817]
    evidently, our mail server admins set up some sort of IMAP to piggy back along with the exchange servers for just this purpose, so it is possible
    [/quote]

Then you are using IMAP, not the Exchange protocol. There is a difference. Like how I used POP3 to talk to my exchange server. I had to specifically edit my accoutn so I could do that.

oh ok, so you do it to it would be nice if it would get my calendar and stuff too

i didnt know exactly how they did it...

so what do you think is better? IMAP? or POP3?

Good Guru

IMAP is easier for the admin, because all of the messages are stored on the server. So in the event that another client needs to be used, all of the messages remain.

POP3 I like better because I can download off the server my messages and keep them locally. I would imagine that most admins dont like this because that means if the drive barfs, the messages are gone.

I would say use IMAP, you are probably better off that way.