Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mail client suggestions

Thread: Mail client suggestions

Good Guru

Mail client suggestions

Greets all!

I had recently given up on Sylpheed for one big reason -- the inablity to do multiple attatchments at once. If anyone knows how to correct this -- back to Sylpheed I go.

But since I doubt that it was just me -- does anybody know of a mail client besides KMail that can do maildir format email imports (so I can migrate) and do multiple accounts in some fashion. Currently KMail works, but I am finding it a pain to deal with all of the KDE crap getting loaded just for one app. I am finding that on my weak ass POS box here at work, lightweight non KDE and non GNOME works the best.

And, it doesnt need to be all GUIish like Sylpheed, Mozilla, and KMail -- but mouse support would be handy (like mc has would be ideal).

Re:Mail client suggestions

do you like evolution? I tried it and kinda like it. I think i will stay with mozilla, but it was pretty slick.

Good Guru

Evo is more bloat, and doesnt allow multiple file attatchments. When I send out long distance reports, I have more than just a few files that need tio be sent. Having to manually attatch each one at a time, is not worth it. Evo slows this crap machine at work almost as much as KMail. Although, featurewise, it was pretty nice. Thats the reason I went to sylpheed -- less bloat. Then the irritating fact with attatchments popped up.

Out of the GUI email clients the only one that does multple attatchemnts at once and can import my email is KMail. I figured there may be some obscure, underrated one that can be reccomended.

Mutt is by far the best mail client I have used. You have to learn a little about how mail works on Unix, and you have to learn a little about fetchmail and sendmail (or Qmail) but its well worth it.

And it is not GUI- its 100% pure CLI.

http://www.mutt.org

Good Guru

how well does mutt handle subdirectories and multple pops? I have about 5 pops that I will need to check and will need to create roughly 25 subdirecotries across the whole lot. For example my offsite email has a saved, redhat-list, slackware-list, freetds, 2600, gnome-list subdirectories my mail gets filtered to.

How bad will it be to use that? Thats why I kinda stuck to a gui -- I dont like how fetchmail grabs multiple accounts. Not to mention, my passwords are cleartext.

Mutt is amazing at handling folders, subfolders, sub-subfolders....

But yes, you need to use something like fetchmail to get your mail as Mutt is just the reader- it can't really fetch or send mail on its own.

Good Guru

Yeah, I have used both mutt and pine before and they were rather good memories. But tits that fetchmail thing that pisses me off.

I am going to have to hit freshmeat or something ...