Thread: Xandros Linux: "It just works," even with Windows stuff

Xandros Linux: "It just works," even with Windows stuff

Re:Xandros Linux: "It just works," even with Windows stuff

At the risk of starting another flame war, I used to think SuSE was dumb for not providing a free ISO download. I think that strategy has hurt them, not helped, the same way Apple's proprietary platform ultimately hurt them. But, at least, after a few weeks of waiting, SuSE will let you do an FTP install of their latest release.

Now we have Xandros who want you to fork out US$99 for something that you could pretty much duplicate or emulate for free. Others (e.g., Libranet) have tried that and eventually caved in to providing at least a stripped down version of their product for free.

Time will tell whether Xandros succeeds where other Linux purveyors have failed. I doubt that they will.

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=19;threadid=5402;start=0#52407 date=1035322261]
    At the risk of starting another flame war, I used to think SuSE was dumb for not providing a free ISO download. I think that strategy has hurt them, not helped, the same way Apple's proprietary platform ultimately hurt them. But, at least, after a few weeks of waiting, SuSE will let you do an FTP install of their latest release.

Now we have Xandros who want you to fork out US$99 for something that you could pretty much duplicate or emulate for free. Others (e.g., Libranet) have tried that and eventually caved in to providing at least a stripped down version of their product for free.

Time will tell whether Xandros succeeds where other Linux purveyors have failed. I doubt that they will.
    [/quote]

However this seems to be a nice way to start off. Yes, you or I could emulate the Xandros experience for free, and have all our apps integrate seamlessly (both windows and linux) and have everything running just the way we like them, but could your average newbie? What Xandros is doing is taking the average newbie, saying "look...linux isn't so scary" and launching them right into the best of it. They'll only learn from then on. The fact that it's $99? I think it's reasonable. They include a bunch of proprietary software with their distro, plus you get a book! After all...they're doing you a service in packaging and setting up a perfect desktop...this is what they charge for that service. I really hope they succeed, despite the fact that they didn't give me a job when I had an interview with them.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE
    I really hope they succeed, despite the fact that they didn't give me a job when I had an interview with them.
    You should at least send them a copy of your post to get a free copy of their distro... I hope they succeed also. Too many Linux shops falling by the wayside over the last couple of years...

Good Guru

I gotta agree with Coral Sea. People arent gonna shell that kind of money out when they know RedHat(or any other free-to d/l-and-find-in-store-distro) and can get it for 40 bucks. SuSE would never have been touched by me if I was unaware of linux. I would go for RedHat or Mandrake, or the biggest friggin book on it at the bookstore.