Thread: firestarter is good!

firestarter is good!

I tried using firestarter about a week ago. I was amazed by what it stopped. It denied access to websites trying to access my computer, websites that I haven't even visited! Not only that, but individuals were also denied access! I thought that it would be a lot harder to get hacked into because I use linux, but that is a wrong assumption. If you don't have a firewall running, you are asking for it! I recommend firestarter, or if you have a spare computer box laying around, Shorewall!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

jessta

Re: firestarter is good!

even better idea.
    don't install the firewall and stop running network services that you don't need to run.

A firewall is not a security measure. A firewall is to save yourself when you don't practice good security.

Does anyone else find it odd that a firewall is named firestarter? I do...

The only thing I can usually stop with a firewall the couple of time I have used one was myself from getting on the internet. Oddly enough...
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Re: firestarter is good!

Actually, I really like Firestarter too. I've also been trying out the pre 1.0 version and it's great. The GUI is great and so are the features.
    Not only do I use it as a firewall, I use it to provide a NAT through an extra NIC on my linux box so I can provide some internet access to another box. I had to do this since all the ports on my router were taken and I didn't have an extra switch.
    Yeah, thumbs up to firestarter. They should include the 1.0 release in GNOME.

Quote Originally Posted by jro";p="3629
    Does anyone else find it odd that a firewall is named firestarter? I do...

The only thing I can usually stop with a firewall the couple of time I have used one was myself from getting on the internet. Oddly enough...
    Strictly speaking, Firestarter is not a firewall itself, but a frontend, and a very good one at that, for iptables. It also provides log viewing and stuff like that.

Brilliant program, although I wish it would simply use gtk+, and not gnome libraries. I don't like having to install additional gnome-deps. Me no gnome likey. XFce!

Gnome's not bad.

Speaking of Firestarter, who ever created the RPM's for the RPM-based distro's messed up the dependency checking, cause it will install on a machine that doesn't have the all the Gnome-libs installed, then you get all these off the wall errors when you try to run it. I found a plethora of unanswered questions about these errors on Google.

Yeah, yeah, I know, RPMs suck, blah blah compile form source. Save the flame, its just a heads up.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7