Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000

Windows 2000

Oh how do i hate thee....
    thou are like a smelly piece of poop - and no amount of flushing make'th the stench go away.

How the hell does one remove a driver completely from MS windows2000 ????

heres the deal.
    at work we have to use win2k - there are drivers which are crappy that we need to use. i need to uninstall the driver to check some USB enumeration and can't do this properly if the old driver is there, now i remove the old driver in the device manager, then placing the device back in makes it get set up again - letting me know that the driver is still installed.

i wnat it gone, gone gone. yes i have rebooted (not always by choice!) i have search registry entries, and looked for files. any ideas?

obviously under linux this would not be an issue....

Re:Windows 2000

It sounds like you need to disable plug and play before putting your device back on the machine. I don't use win2k but you should be able to find this under the control panel. It will be in services or something like that. it is worth a try.

AFAIK, you cannot disable PnP in W2K.

I think that, on W2k, driver files are kept in two places: \winnt\inf (hidden folder) and \winnt\system32.
    The first place keeps the inf files which tells windows what files to load. Try checking for an inf file that mentions your device. On the \winnt\system32, the actual driver files are usuallt .sys files. You can see if you can recognize a .sys file named similar to the device, or right-clikc on it and check, on Properties, for the driver manufacturer.
    Sorry I don't know an easier way...

thanks people, i'll check it out on monday.

easy - thats why i use linux. in the long run it is much easier.

I just noticed the W2k Admin toolkit has a tool that will show you what drivers are loaded, and the name of the files. That may narrow your search. I can e-mail you that tool if you want.

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=5377;start=0#52259 date=1035058945]
    I think that, on W2k, driver files are kept in two places: \winnt\inf (hidden folder) and \winnt\system32.
    [/quote]

My bet is on the \winnt\inf folder. What does AFAIK mean?

Good Guru

[quote author=Coral Sea link=board=25;threadid=5377;start=0#52353 date=1035245384]
    What does AFAIK mean?
    [/quote]
    As Far As I Know.

Right-click on the device and see what the driver files are. Then remove the device from the control panel and delete those files. I've had to do that before myself.

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=25;threadid=5377;start=0#52683 date=1035759134]
    Right-click on the device and see what the driver files are. Then remove the device from the control panel and delete those files. I've had to do that before myself.
    [/quote]
    i did that - but the little #$%@&*! is still getting detected. the people who developed the driver say they don't know...

There is another shareware that will do backups of your drivers. You could use it first, then open the folder and see what files it backed up, and delete those from your system.