Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Installing commercial OSS

Thread: Installing commercial OSS

Installing commercial OSS

I just recently purchased the OSS commercial Open Sound System and when I try to install it, an error says that the audio and soundcore are busy and it cannot unload them. It tells me to unload them and try re-installing again. How do I stop audio and soundcore so I can load OSS? I've tried rmmod (as root) and it says they're busy.

Re:Installing commercial OSS

hello, if there is one module loaded that is being used by another then it will complain, you should be able to see what modules are loaded by looking at the modules listed in brackets next to the module,
    e.g.
    emu10k1 [sound soundcore]
    remove the ones listed in brackets first.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=5369;start=0#52207 date=1034952230]
    hello, if there is one module loaded that is being used by another then it will complain, you should be able to see what modules are loaded by looking at the modules listed in brackets next to the module,
    e.g.
    emu10k1 [sound soundcore]
    remove the ones listed in brackets first.
    [/quote]
    Next to soundcore in brackets is [audio]. When I try to remove audio it says resource or driver is busy. There's no resource listed next to audio. I've tried rmmod audio and rmmod soundcore= no luck. How else might I unload a module manually?

hum,, at this point i would start guessing or reboot the machine... if you have tried to reboot the machine remove all refernces to sound crap in the modules.conf file and start over with the OSS drivers.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=5369;start=0#52214 date=1034958497]
    hum,, at this point i would start guessing or reboot the machine... if you have tried to reboot the machine remove all refernces to sound crap in the modules.conf file and start over with the OSS drivers.
    [/quote]
    I'm re-loading Red Hat 8.0 to get a fresh start. I know that sounds a bit extreme but I have limited knowledge on Linux and when it comes to compiling the kernel and so forth I become lost. After the fresh load I'll be using kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0 and I'll try and load OSS at first log in. I have no idea if it's going to work or not but I'll post a message as soon as I find out.

Good Guru

here is a tip that may help out a bit.

When you install the OS, it will ask somewhere (and in 8 I think they made it lharder to find) if you wnat to normally boot to the X session, or to the command line. Since I can assume that you are booting to X (Runlevel 5 from henceforth), we need to get the system to unload it (we want to goto runlevel 3). So, do the following:
    ctl+alt+f1
    login as root
    type : init 3

try installing your software then.

Here is a list of runlevels and what they do.

0: Halt system
    1: single user, no networking.
    2: single user, netowrking (not as useful as it sounds)
    3: multiuser, networking
    4: Unused, could be defined as a custom runlevel
    5: multiuser, networking, X auto started
    6: reboot

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=5369;start=0#52218 date=1034960656]
    here is a tip that may help out a bit.

When you install the OS, it will ask somewhere (and in 8 I think they made it lharder to find) if you wnat to normally boot to the X session, or to the command line. Since I can assume that you are booting to X (Runlevel 5 from henceforth), we need to get the system to unload it (we want to goto runlevel 3). So, do the following:
    ctl+alt+f1
    login as root
    type : init 3

try installing your software then.

Here is a list of runlevels and what they do.

0: Halt system
    1: single user, no networking.
    2: single user, netowrking (not as useful as it sounds)
    3: multiuser, networking
    4: Unused, could be defined as a custom runlevel
    5: multiuser, networking, X auto started
    6: reboot

[/quote]
    Okay, it's working. I tried going into init 3 but still no joy. I came to find out that first: the entire file didn't download. I only received 845k on the first download. I redownloaded and finally got the rest (2.5Mb). Then second: the OSS does not support my kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0. I had to reboot into kernel-2.4.18-14 to get it to work. I've sent a request to them to provide me with a courtesy e-mail once they update their OSS for the new kernel support. Thank you for your help. I'm a newbie and everytime I come here I learn a great deal more.

Good Guru

Hey, I just wish I had teh help that I find here, when I first started out. I had a modem, but couldnt figure out how to make it work for 5 months. A soundcard that took an umpteen kernel recompiles to get right, and the awful KDE 1.x, and fvwm (which aint for newbies) in slackware 3.1 (I think, it was dubbed Slack 96).

Anything I can do to help -- feel free to ask. I just hope that more people find that linux is a nice escape from the M$ realm.