Thread: nt 4.0

Mentor

nt 4.0

does anyone know if you could start windows from the command line in nt 4.0?

like in win98 if you get to the c:\windows directory you could type win and windwos will start.

Mentor

Re:nt 4.0

AFAIK the answer is no. How do you even get to a command line in NT 4.0 if Windows is not running? There is no "Command prompt only" option in NT 4.0.

Good Guru

Actually, from the mouth of an old NT developer from M$, yyes you can do the CLI with NT. You set the shell to cmd.exe.

Mentor

[quote author=cloverm link=board=25;threadid=5358;start=0#52145 date=1034868455]
    AFAIK the answer is no. How do you even get to a command line in NT 4.0 if Windows is not running? There is no "Command prompt only" option in NT 4.0.
    [/quote]

well what i was doing was booting with a windows 98 boot disk and just changing directories once it was up to c:\ but i could'nt run any commands i could only view what was there.

The thing is, this is a box from a company we took over and I dont have any NT machines on our network. I'm not going to be back at the palce were all the other NT machines are for a week or so, so i thought that maybe i could cheat alittle and save me some agrovation, but i guess i'm going to have to someone there to create rescue disks for the sister machine and send them to me.

Good Guru

NT can't be load off of DOS. NT is by design not DOS based and it load off of NTLDR.

What you can do is boot up the PC and hit F8 key repeately until the loading choice are displayed. Then you can choose NT to load in safemode, command line or normal. Repair it when in command line and then when you done, type exit and your box should reboot.