Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

rpm package manager

Thread: rpm package manager

rpm package manager

hi everyone...

i downloaded fluxbox.src.rpm, and trying to use kpackage to install the file. however after installation, when i try to find out if it was successful, by hitting the reload button, fluxbox does not appear anywhere. same thing happens when i try installing again by hitting the install marked button...any ideas?
    please let me know if you need more information

thank you
    Dswissmiss

Good Guru

Re:rpm package manager

well what distro? If redhat 8, Kernel killer has a really nice pet on adding a wm to gdm and kdm .

oops...mandrake 9.0

Good Guru

Okay, Rick --- where the hell are ya? Yoohooo!

Rick is as big of a Mandrake slut as I am a RedHat slut. He WILL know how.

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=2;threadid=5351;start=0#52076 date=1034805081]
    hi everyone...

i downloaded fluxbox.src.rpm, and trying to use kpackage to install the file. however after installation, when i try to find out if it was successful, by hitting the reload button, fluxbox does not appear anywhere. same thing happens when i try installing again by hitting the install marked button...any ideas?
    please let me know if you need more information

thank you
    Dswissmiss
    [/quote]

Well thats a .src.rpm , you would need to do
    Code:
     rpm --rebuild fluxbox.src.rpm
    That will make the .src.rpm into a regular .rpm . It will be in the /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386 directory. Then cd into that directory and type
    Code:
     rpm -ivh fluxbox.rpm
    Any errors post em back - good luck

thanx guys, i thought that i could just install it with kpackage, i get the same instructions you gave me on the site i donloaded the file from, but im still having problems. i cd' to the directory the file is in, become super user, then type the "rebuild" command. i then get /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb: no such file or directory. the site also tells me that i need rpm-build, spec-helper and libtool, so i downloaded them from software management within mandrake. could it be that they didnt install correctly, or is it something else?

thank you

Good Guru

Well on RedHat, to install an rpm, you need root prriveledges. Once you get that far, a simple rpm -Uvh nameofrpm.rpm will upgrade/install the package.

Could you copy a snippet of what you are doing, and the response your PC gave you? Like this ::

Code:
    [aschott@system11 aschott]$ sudo rpm -Uvh wm-icons-0.3.0-1.noarch.rpm 
    Password:
    Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       1:wm-icons               ########################################### [100%]
    [aschott@system11 aschott]$
    That is a sucessful RPM install.