Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 8.0 and SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum

Re:Red Hat 8.0 and SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=5343;start=0#52096 date=1034813507]
    Are you logged in as root when you get no sound? Did you tried to restart the X-server after doing the modprobe?
    I remember having a similar issue on my Slackware at the beggining, and it was that my user account did not had rights to the sound card (/dev/dsp)
    [/quote]

Yes, I'm logged in as root, and how do you restart the X-server?

ctrl + alt + bkspc will reset it.

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=5343;start=0#52026 date=1034786076]
    I helped my friend troubleshoot his RedHat 8 installation last night, with that soundcard. Seems it was loading the soundcore module, but not emu10k1. This were my troubleshooting instructions that got it working. It might be helpful:

1. type "modprobe emu10k1". Then restart the X server.
    2.add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local: /sbin/modprobe emu10k1

Also, this site is pretty helpful too: http://how.to/sblive

Hope that helps.
    [/quote]

I did the modprobe on emu10k1 and then the ctrl+alt+backspace to restart the x-server. I then went into the /etc/rc.d/rc.local and added the line /sbin/modprobe emu10k1. I then tried sound, no good, then restarted x-server and still no sound, I did a complete reboot and still no desktop sounds and the sound server keeps coming up with the "Error while initializing the sound driver: can't start sound i/o"
    I have two other people attempting to install the emu10k1 from sourceforge and they're receiving the same audio.o errors as before. We're setting our machines back to normal for now to await further instructions.

hello,
    if you can play an mp3 or an .wav file then the issue is not with the sound card, it would be an issue with the desktop sound set up. you said earlier that you can play DVDs and get sound which tells me that sound is working. Try this (redhat 7.3) cat /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav > /dev/dsp, make sure the volue is up - you should be able to here it. if you can then the sound is set up properly, you will want desktop sounds next, try playing around with prefernces settting in gnome and control panel in kde.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=5343;start=0#52118 date=1034825300]
    hello,
    if you can play an mp3 or an .wav file then the issue is not with the sound card, it would be an issue with the desktop sound set up. you said earlier that you can play DVDs and get sound which tells me that sound is working. Try this (redhat 7.3) cat /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav > /dev/dsp, make sure the volue is up - you should be able to here it. if you can then the sound is set up properly, you will want desktop sounds next, try playing around with prefernces settting in gnome and control panel in kde.
    [/quote]

Yes, I can hear CD music just fine. Actually I was listening to music while I was reading. When I tried sending the .wav file to /dev/dsp I couldn't hear anything. I tried a few other sounds like the new log in and log out wavs which are extremely loud when played. And I still had nothing. I did have sound at one time in the past: I'd downloaded a commercial, trial verion of the OSS from some 4(something) company. That sound worked very well but it timed out. I've re-installed Red Hat since then so I have a clean system. I have it as a completely fresh install as of now with the exception that I'd modprobed emu10k1 to get it going.

We've tried all the suggestions listed above and still no good. Here's a list of what we have done so far:

Error message still receiving at logon:

Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    can't start sound i/o
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

/etc/modules.conf:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    alias eth0 tulip
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    alias /dev/mixer sound-service-0-0
    alias /dev/dsp sound-service-0-3
    alias /dev/midi sound-service-0-1
    pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    alias sound-slot-1 audio
    post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

etc/rc.d/rc.local:

#!/bin/sh
    BASEPATH=/usr/local
    DSPATH=$BASEPATH/bin/emu-dspmgr
    TONE=$BASEPATH/share/emu10k1/tone.bin
    $DSPATH -l"Pcm L" -f$TONE -cbass -mbass -ctreble -mtreble
    $DSPATH -l"Pcm R" -f$TONE
    $DSPATH -l"Pcm1 L" -f$TONE
    $DSPATH -l"Pcm1 R" -f$TONE
    /sbin/modprobe emu10k1
    /sbin/modprobe sound
    /sbin/modprobe soundcore
    #
    # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
    # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
    # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    We removed the sound cards and it recognized that and it recognized it when we reinstalled the sound cards.

well i foolishly forgot to post what i had in my modules.conf file, but i am sure it was not as complex as what you have. also i did not have all the other stuff you listed in rc.local

this should really be much easier than it is and this is not typical of linux and sound.

IM3 Harris, Paul

Good Guru

try running this :

/usr/sbin/setup

You can su, sudo or do it as root itself. There is an option for soundcard configuration. Try running that. Tell us what happens when you try the sample wave file.

Okay, we're back but please give us a few minutes while we reload our systems. We tried a few things last night while you slept and we need to reload everything. We'll be back to the basic configuration in about 20 minutes.

courage

Okay, I had a friend loading Red Hat for me while I stepped out for a few. I get back and have found that a new kernel has been downloaded. I was running kernel-2.4.18-14.athlon but now I have a linux-2.4.18-17.8.0. I have never installed a new kernel before so any quick steps to install this before we begin?