I got this message from the LJR Contact form:

We have what appears to be a soundcore problem in that Red Hat 8.0 recognizes the sound card, i.e., we can play audio CDs, but we have no desktop sounds. We've tried everything under the sun to get it to work but to no avail. The OSS ($20.00) works but we haven't bought it yet, the ALSA player will not load, and I've modified my /etc/modules.conf file so many times that I finally just wiped my hard drive and re-loaded Red Hat.
I'm in the military and stationed overseas and computer parts are hard to come by. There's at least 15 people here that have the same sound card SBLive 5.1 Platinum and all of us are attempting to learn Red Hat in our off time from duty. We have custom built computers and have all ran SuSE 8.0 with no problems. Everything seems to work in SuSE. It's Red Hat that we're having the problems with and if you can help us to configure our system to use the desktop sounds it would be greatly appreciated.
We all have AMD processors, MSI-6330 or ABIT KT7A motherboards, SBLive 5.1 Platinum, and ATI 128 rage Pro (All in wonder) video cards.

thanks again
r,

ETC(SW) Jack E. Reed
United States Navy
I will send a message back to the poster reffering him to this thread. Let's see if we can help him out.