Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Broadband support in Mandrake or Redhat

Thread: Broadband support in Mandrake or Redhat

Broadband support in Mandrake or Redhat

Hi

I had Mandrake 8 and got ADSL broadband internet. I read that I would not be able to use this under Linux, so I went back to my windows system. Has Mandrake 9 or Red hat 8 support the ADSL devices?

Re:Broadband support in Mandrake or Redhat

Hi,

DSL uses a protocol called PPPoE, Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, similar in some cases to dial-up (PPP). There is some support for it under Linux.
    Red Hat supports it out of the box. However, I found it, in version 7.3, a bit quirky. (It would stop working sometimes for me. I dunno if this was just for me.) I hear that Mandrake 9 has support for it too. I have DSL and, before getting a smal switch/router to do the dial-in for me, I used a third party software: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

Also, the 2.4.X kernel (since version 2.4.9 I believe) supports kernel-mode.

You may want to check this options, and we may be able to help you with the one you choose.

Welcome to LinuxJunior.

Re:Broadband support in Mandrake or Redhat

hello,
    i have asdl and sdsl and had no issues with either for over a year. it does use DHCP to set up my NIC.