Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

MySQL Setup help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MySQL Setup help

Re:MySQL Setup help

yep it they are in there. but the user number is 501 does this mater? Before I deleted the RH installed mysql user it was user 26 ( I think, or some other low number like that anyway)

[quote author=mcdougrs link=board=4;threadid=5335;start=0#52064 date=1034801125]
    yep it they are in there. but the user number is 501 does this mater? Before I deleted the RH installed mysql user it was user 26 ( I think, or some other low number like that anyway)
    [/quote]

As far as I know it shouldn't matter. UIDs below 500 are usually reserved for services and above 500 are normal users. But this is just convention and should not effect the service (though, of course, I could be wrong about all this).

I was up late one night thinking about why this (being able to run MySQl with user mysql) wouldn't work and the only reason I could think of is that the user didn't exist in the database itself. Ok for some reason do I need to create this user in the mysql database, do I need to give it permissions and the whole 9 yards. And if so what permissions do I give it, complete MySQL Admin control or user control?

<edit>Oh yeah has anyone else here tried to run the MySQL server off of their Psyche 8.0 install? And was it successful? How did you get it to run? What were the steps you took?
    Just curious I guess if it is just my dumb a$$</edit>

Running mysql as mysql_user is independent of whether or not a there is a mysql_user defined in MySQL, if that makes any sense.

Ok people I did a fresh RH install now the server won't start because it is getting a hostname error, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with this one.
    Code:
    [root@dhcp-482-2416 mcdougrs]# /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    Initializing MySQL database:  Sorry, the host 'dhcp-482-2416' could not be looked up.
    Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
    If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
    the --force option
                                                               [FAILED]
    and my /etc/hosts file contains
    Code:
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
    I have a feeling that I am close to getting this thing started (I hope anyway)

<edit>I think I have a fix, hopefully permanent. I just added the dhcp-482-2416 alias to the hosts file, and then I issued the mysqld start command and wholla it started ;D</edit>

Ok so I know want to start this bad boy up at startup. There are scripts in all of the rc folders, but all of the files start with a K. If memory server me right all I should need to do is rename one of them with an S and bodda bing bodda boom it should work right? Now the other part of this is what level, or in what what rc.X folder, should rename the file with the beginning S?

TIA

Check out your /etc/inittab. In it (though I forget the exact syntax of the line) you will see a line that defines what your default runlevel is, eg. the runlevel you boot up to when you start your box. The next thing you need to do, is place your startup script in your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory and make sure it is executable. You'll probably want to call it mysqld. After you do that, you need to make a symlnik to it in the rc.X directory for the runlevel you wish to start mysql under.

The following code will execute your script if (a) it exists in init.d and is executable, and (b) your default runlevel is 5, as defined by inittab.
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99mysql
    The 'S' stands for start, 'K' for kill

The number specifies the sequence in which that script is executed. Some services are dependent on others, so they need a lower init number. I usually just make all my user-defined runlevel scripts S99.

To make the 'start', 'stop', 'restart' options to the script work, you need to build them into it. Look at other scripts in the init.d directory to see the syntax.

If all else fails, execute the script from /etc/rc.local by adding
    /path/to/mysql_script in the rc.local file itself. This is the last thing to run in all runlevels I believe.

HTH

That does help tremendously, but I just found a pretty cool system config tool in RH 8.0. It's a services control panel and you can add services that need starting at run levels 3 -5 I thought it was cool and I think it will make my life a little bit easier.

Oh yeah, one last thing why do I see that almost all of the services that startup in run level 3 also start in 4 and 5. Is it just a safety redundancy thing?

The different runlevels do different things. For instance, on RH 7.0 runlevel 2 was for networking without starting X or NFS. Level 3, I believe, was networking without X, but with support for NFS related services. Runlevel 5 booted into X and had services started for NFS. Runlevel 6 halts the box. Runlevel 1 is single user mode without networking, etc. I don't know how RH handles this now, but basically you booted into whatever runlevel best suited your box's purpose. For instance, I used to boot all my Apache boxes to level 2 and my desktops to level 5. Unfortunately, I still had to go in and enable and disable other services, but choosing a default runlevel was a decent way to begin configing things.