Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FVWM :: Call me a moron, but...

Good Guru

FVWM :: Call me a moron, but...

Umm what the hell did I miss. I installed from source FVWM, and when I try to launch it, it sorta starts, but whines about missing config files (which as far as I can tell, is true -- I cant find any).

What the hell did I miss ??

Good Guru

Re:FVWM :: Call me a moron, but...

Update -- I found some doodad that makes a config file, but how do I configure this thing up? Am I to hack each and every file in my ~/.fvwm/ directory?

hey Schotty!!
    well when you run the fvwm setup script it will do most of the setup for you, and there are options for a bunch of stuff. one thing that may come in handy is the fvwm-themes site -> http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/ . some (perhaps many) people use this, but i persoanlly do hack the scripts in my ~/.fvwm directory. there are only two i mess with, one if menus and the other is .fvwmrc. when i get completely messed up i do use the setup forms to fix stuff for me, or i look at examples. demain has probably forgotten more about fvwm than i have ever known and has always been helpful to me

Good Guru

hey dude thanks. I already grabbed the themes package and copied that over. I just dont get how to apply a theme.

Did you put exec fvwm-themes (or was it exec fvwm-themes-start) in your .xinitrc file?

Good Guru

no.

Ill try that ;D

Good Guru

Okay, I was putzzing around and got I think alot further, but still can figure out the theme stuff. I got into the Xsession file like it had asked the fvwm-themes-start and I got cleaner graphics -- but how do I change the theme? I ran the fvwm95 script and it configured stuff for me, and that all works fine.

Errr, it's a long time ago that I used fvwm-themes. But I remember that there was a menu that popped up when you clicked anywhere in the root window. Should look like in this screenshot. Else do you have access to the FvwmModules through some menu. There should be an entry for the theme engine or whatever it's called.

Check your config files: There should be a all sorts of ~/.fvwm/themes* directories. You have them?

Also the theme package is broken up in -base and -extra, I think. Have you installed them both? (Although I think the base package should be enough as it already contains a number of themes.)

If all this doesn't lead you anywhere post back and I'll go and install fvwm-themes here on my box to clear my blurred memory.

Good Guru

Allright, the pic did help out -- my stuff doesn't look ANYTHING like yours. But the statement that really led me to thinking (and soon some hackin) was the .fvwm/themes tree -- not there. So I will create it and see.

Did your root menu require hacking to get it to look like that ??-- I mean entries, not color or font.

Thanks much dude!

Ok, something seemed to gone wrong when you installed fvwm-themes. I just tried it here and upon installation I changed my ~/.xinitrc file to read

exec fvwm-themes-start

I typed startx and with a left click in the root window I had a menu that has all the theme switching functions along with entries for all application that I ever installed on this box.

Also the theme* directories in ~/.fvwm were automatically created after I first started X. Do you have a ~/.fvwm directory at all? If not create it and try again.

You do have a fvwm version that's 2.4.8 or later, right?