Thread: Downloaders

Downloaders

Under winblows (ARRRGH), I have Netants and Flashget. They are two programs that allow me to do something very nice: specify an url, and download the linked files. What is so nice is that you can choose which files to download.
    Under IE or Netscape, it works like this: I go to a website, right click, and choose "save all with netants/flashget". Up pops a window asking me which of the files linked in the page are to be downloaded. Say I only want to download images: I select all .jpg files and click download... The program starts and I can do something else instead of going through every image and downloading them one by one as you'd do without the program.
    As you can imagine, this is very useful for many things, including but not limited to quick downloading of pictures, both clean and, er, not so clean , song lyrics, audio and music files, and what have you.

Can I get anything like that for Linux?
    Someone suggested I use wget from shell, but I can't understand how to make it download only one kind of file, and it seems to always want to download the source .html page too... (Yes, I did RTFM, but got pretty confused...)
    Is anything else available, possibly for X11?

Re:Downloaders

hmm sounds like it would have to be a plugin for mozilla, netscape, konqueror, etc. i haven't heard of such a tool, but i do think you could prolly do it with wget

[me=grimey]goes to play with wget[/me]

Code:
    wget -r http://www.linuxjunior.org/index.shtml -A gif --follow-tags=img
    that managed to get me all the gifs off the homepage. first wget dl'd the index.shtml, then it saved all the images into a directory for me

Good Guru

http://www.krasu.ru/soft/chuchelo/

that's what i used back in my days of not knowing how to resume downloads with wget and having a 56k to download isos... twas grand :roll:

i don't know if it can only download one type of file like all gifs or whatever, but you might wanna check it out.

You want to get the leech plugin for mozilla: Simply right-click anywhere on a page and select "Leech" from the menu.

Yeah, the leech plugin seems to be exactly what I wanted... But. (As Murphy's law dictates, there always is a "but"...)
    I had Mozilla 9.8 or something, and leech wouldn't work (unsurprisingly; it clearly states on the download page that it doesn't work with versions prior to 1.1). So I downloaded and installed 1.1.
    Now I get the leech config page (which, who knows why, comes configured for winblows by default), I get the right-click menu command, but when I click it it doesn't start... It actually does nothing at all.
    ::cries:: help!

So have you configured leech? (Edit->Preferences->advanced->leech)

Whoops... It works, I just wasn't clicking ON what I wanted to be downloaded... ::blushes::
    Anyway, thank you very much!