Thread: Red Hat 8.0 Stability issues...

Hybrid View

Red Hat 8.0 Stability issues...

Hi All,
    I am wondering if there is anyone else having stabilty issues with Red Hat 8.0? I am, it seems related to X and possibly nvidia but there is *nothing* in any log i look at. which is very frustrating. It looks up X and then when I try to shut it down remotely it stops responding completely. For right now i guess i will go back to rh 7.3 or debain, but i would like to know if any one sees this issue so we can notify the folks at Red Hat.

This kernel is identical to my old kernel, the difference being gcc 3.2.

hadrware
    athlon 1200 MHz (it has the mem=nopentium flag passed in)
    512 MB ram
    nvidia card gf2 mx
    standard other stuff...

i have my work laptop running redhat 8.0 w.o any issues at all....

Good Guru

Re:Red Hat 8.0 Stability issues...

Hmm, odd. I have been using for all but three days since it came out, RH 8.0 on my work box. The one thing that irritates me, is the slowness on a p2-266 288 MB ram. I have a 6 gig maxtor in it right now.

Just to give you an idea of how slow I am right now -- I can no longer compile, run VMWare and do something useful. I am seriously debating putting slack on here or something.

Oh and BTW, you may have won an fvwm user over -- compiling it RIGHT NOW ;D

groovy!

for me rh 8.0 was noticeably faster, i am assuming this because gcc 3.2 - but the stabilty issue sucks.

Good Guru

Well after reading a few rather popular forums like Slashdot, it seems that its actually VMWare. It hates RH8 for some reason. It will slow the system down horrendously and have royal problems with power management for its VMs. So for shits and giggles, I disabled VMWarre's services and it sped up alot. Of course until I get Access running under Linux, I need it though....

Paul,

Are you using USB devices ? That might be your problem.. I hear that the kernel that comes with RH 8.0 doesnt like USB. I would plug PS/2 stuff in and compile with a vanilla kernel.

hi knight,
    oh yea! i am using lots 'o' usb devices, scanner, joystick, mouse, printer - you name it (well not really, i just named 'em all...). but i also compiled my own kernel (2.4.19 w/ pre-empt patch) and still had the same problems.i am guessing the nvidia module is crap with gcc 3.2

[quote author=pbharris link=board=7;threadid=5317;start=0#51855 date=1034536921]
    For right now i guess i will go back to rh 7.3 or debain,
    hadrware
    [/quote]

Or, you could come over to the Dark Side and use Mandy 9...

Well you could listen to Coral Sea (a very smart man I might add using drake9) or drop back to 7.3. Seems that kernel Killler was having the same probs with 8.0 over at forums.high-on-linux.net . Its not nvidia related with 3.2 because I have no probs at all with the nvidia drivers on my drake 9 box (which is 3.2 of course).........Could be USB, i also read some stuff about RH and USB, but you said you compiled your own kernel too, hmm........Drake 9 it is!

Good Guru

well, basically I found out that it may be a kernel patch from RedHat that hates specific hardwares. Try using a stock kernel from kernel.org and see how it runs.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=7;threadid=5317;start=0#51855 date=1034536921]
    I am, it seems related to X and possibly nvidia but there is *nothing* in any log i look at.
    [/quote]

I have no problem with my nVidia 32MB TNT2 on my Gateway machine, just a matter of quality of the graphic with the shipped nVidia driver from Redhat, so what I did was to upgrade the nVidia driver by recompile the nVidia source, install it, make minor and easy configurations, then my Tuxracer is running smoothly. Yet I am not Linux techie...