Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install RH 8.0

Can't install RH 8.0

Install hoses up when I am installing packages.. But, I can switch to command line, so the system itself isnt hosing up. It happens both on text install and graphical install...

I get a error from ananconda about gnome canvas failing.. But, it doesnt lock up on the same package everytime and I checked the cd and it passed the test.

Any ideas? I checked and made sure my partitions are correctly sized and I can install Windows XP just fine. So, I dont think it is a stability issue because of heat or anything.

I am seriously puzzled though.. I can install debian with my eyes closed but I cant install Red Hat .. How sad is that? ;D

Re:Can't install RH 8.0

pretty darn sad my friend!! anywho, one thing i know has helped is passing nodma to the kernel at install time, not sure why this would be happeninng though.

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.. Would mem=nodma be the right syntax to pass that at install time? I'm not a grub guy ;D

I also read where RH 8.0 locks up w/ USB devices so I am going to unplug all my USB stuff and reset my bios to default settings to see if that helps.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Good Guru

hmmm, bad cd?

bad md5sum?

dirty cdrom?

It was a purchased cd and I ran that cdrom test that comes with Redhat 8.0 and it passed :-\

Good Guru

Wow! A RedHAt boxset that fails! Now that is weird.

I would try for shits and giggles, cleaning the CD drive. I am at a loss. Is there an error that is consistent throughout each failure? I know you said it hated the RPM, but anything more specific?

I get that anaconda error about the gnome canvas saying it failed.. No other errors and I dont even get that one every time (at least I dont think).

It always locks up on the install screen, no other place and it will lock up on different packages not the same one so I am clueless.

Anaconda doesnt run in text mode right?

Good Guru

If I understand correctly, Anaconda is a daemon that detects your hardware and tracks changes in it. So then I would presume that yes it runs in text mode. It should launch each time at bootup to detect any hardware changes on an installed system.

I feel your pain.

I have both the .ISOs and the store bought CDs for RH 8 and both fail to install on an number of boxes that I got 7.3 to install on. The error I am getting is with packages installing. The error I get is that my media is bad, though all CDs pass the media tests.

How did I fix this. I installed SuSE 8 from their ftp server. It installed like and runs like a dream.

Good Guru

I dont know what the problem is -- but I got it to install on 2 boxes -- my home box and my work box. Flawless each time.... well until I put VMWare on it.