Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this old news?

Is this old news?

I just ran across this Winduhs exploit called Shatter. Don't know how old this news is, but it's fairly serious and is going to put M$ in a very bad position if it hasn't already. It's nothing new and effects every Windows OS. Apparently M$ has known about it for a loooooooong time and realize there is little they can do about it without completely re-inventing Windows. I think they were just banking on the possibility that no one would ever figure out this vunerablility. Talk about security by obscurity falling flat on its face.

This quote is just priceless:
    This research was sparked by comments made by Microsoft VP Jim Allchin who stated, under oath, that there were flaws in Windows so great that they would threaten national security if the Windows source code were to be disclosed. He mentioned Message Queueing, and immediately regretted it. However, given the quantity of research currently taking place around the world after Mr Allchin's comments, it is about time the white hat community saw what is actually possible.
    Here's the article:
    http://security.tombom.co.uk/shatter.html

[edit:gorn]Fixed url[/edit]

Re:Is this old news?

What can I say?

Bah!! ;D

I'm actually enjoying (to some extent) the entertaining bug/hole reports coming out from MS and other parties at the moment about problems with Windows. How long are windows users going to keep putting up with this? "Oh, well if you have an anti-virus program, you'll be fine" :-\

[quote author=segfault link=board=5;threadid=5312;start=0#51833 date=1034459435]
    "Oh, well if you have an anti-virus program, you'll be fine" :-\
    [/quote]

That's a joke right? This exploit kind of relies on the fact that you have an anti-virus program running.

[me=Kernel_Killer]bookmarks the link[/me]

Thank you. Thank you very much. ;D

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=5;threadid=5312;start=0#51837 date=1034488111]
    [quote author=segfault link=board=5;threadid=5312;start=0#51833 date=1034459435]
    "Oh, well if you have an anti-virus program, you'll be fine" :-\
    [/quote]

That's a joke right? This exploit kind of relies on the fact that you have an anti-virus program running.
    [/quote]

Yes, of course its a joke. I was making fun at people who say that and think that they'll be alright.

Is this not big news? I had just finished a taking class with an instructor who works with the US government on military security who thinks this was the biggest thing to ever happen in the computer security field since sliced bread. At this point, anyone with physical access to a windows box can root it, and the fix will come no time soon, since the exploit has been around, but unknown, since NT 3.5 and has persisted in every Windows OS ever since. Imagine once this exploit becomes remote or automated. Appearently the problem lies in the fact that every window on a Windows desktop is a peer to any other, no matter what privladge any of them are running at. I'm guessing that one can be used to smash the stack of another.

Spooky---spooky---spooky

Good Guru

Saturday I finally had the time to review in detail the article.

HOLY SHIT!!

This aint good. At least it seems like X11 is much less prone (altough neither he nor I can be 100% certain). But the M$ world can be in one serious realm of pain if this becomes a popular exploit.

And, to answer your Q -- This is definitely new to me!!

I would like to point out that to the best of my knowledge, when I last looked at that vuln, it was a local exploit only, meaning someone had to be sitting down in front of the box and be able to run the tools. In this situation, you've already lost. If someone with malicious intent has physical access to a machine, game over. Period. There's nothing an attacker can't do at this point. This exploit certainly makes things a lot easier, but it's not the magic bullet.

Of course it is a joke, and of course it requires anti-virus running, and of course I am kidding - the stuff is serious, I tried it months ago on my friend's computer with his permission of course, what can I say he is running OpenBSD now.