Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Python Rocks!

Thread: Python Rocks!

Python Rocks!

I was an old BASIC guy to start with, then moved on to batch Fortran and even, God help, Pascal. Then I pretty much got out of programming.

I just started working with Python and I freaking love it!

Re:Python Rocks!

Yes it's quite easy to use and learn. my only complaint is how it encasulates different structures meaning every other language uses brackets - python uses indentation. Every editor that I have used komodo, pythonwin, others; screw up the indentations and makes a mess out of my code.

Why....why?

[quote author=Blaqb0x link=board=9;threadid=5306;start=0#51888 date=1034614377]
    Yes it's quite easy to use and learn. my only complaint is how it encasulates different structures meaning every other language uses brackets - python uses indentation. Every editor that I have used komodo, pythonwin, others; screw up the indentations and makes a mess out of my code.

Why....why?

[/quote]

Use Ruby then.

Associate

ruby ?? why use that python is much older so much more tool kits for it
    who uses ruby ?? and for what is it good better then python or perl ?

kemu: Use C then, it's much older than Python. Wait! Use Lisp or Fortran! They were both invented in ~1958. Can't get any older than that!

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=kemu link=board=9;threadid=5306;start=0#53376 date=1036748670]
    ruby ?? why use that python is much older so much more tool kits for it
    who uses ruby ?? and for what is it good better then python or perl ?
    [/quote]

That is the beauty of diversity. If we all used the same language to communicate in we wouldn't be able to communicate as effectively (some languages have shades of meaning that are much more precise). As with human languages, programming languages are designed and used for a purpose. Some for simplicity, some for extensibility, some for the complexity of the operation (math computations can be very complex, so using a programming language that can better utilize the inherent complexity of various formulae is smart). Every programming language has a unique reason for being. You just have to find one that fits your need or the need of the program that you are trying to create.

BTW...GnuVince has been known to use Ruby.

Cheers

Associate

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=9;threadid=5306;start=0#53380 date=1036756294]
    kemu: Use C then, it's much older than Python. Wait! Use Lisp or Fortran! They were both invented in ~1958. Can't get any older than that!
    [/quote]

I expressed myself wrong
    ruby and python are both made for the same purpose since python has more tool kids then ruby I think python is better to use then ruby

[quote author=kemu link=board=9;threadid=5306;start=0#53466 date=1036844053]
    I expressed myself wrong
    ruby and python are both made for the same purpose since python has more tool kids then ruby I think python is better to use then ruby
    [/quote]

We could say that Perl and Python are both made for the same purpose. Choosing Perl would then be an obvious choice since it has more modules.

Blaqb0x said he had problems with indentation. Since Ruby relies on block delimiters (end), he would not have this problem.

Say I had a bunch of C code and I wanted to change it into a more modern code. Is there a conversion program available? Or would I have to learn both program languages and manually convert the syntax's etc.

Basically I am talking about a Multi User Dungeon Text based game.

Ras

[quote author=Rastar link=board=9;threadid=5306;start=0#53778 date=1037281315]
    Say I had a bunch of C code and I wanted to change it into a more modern code. Is there a conversion program available? Or would I have to learn both program languages and manually convert the syntax's etc.

Basically I am talking about a Multi User Dungeon Text based game.

Ras
    [/quote]

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can call C functions from Python. But I'm talking over my head now...