Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

icewdm not present at login choice

Thread: icewdm not present at login choice

icewdm not present at login choice

i have mandrake 8.1 with kde desktop as default setting
    yesterday i installed icewdm (2 rmp packages) (the gnome version) they installed correctly but after reboot i cant choose icewdm as desktop manager nowhere at the login screen
    (where you have the user icons ans so) there's only kde failsafe and default
    can anyone help me here?

Re:icewdm not present at login choice

I believe there are a few more steps involved to add this to the login manager. There is a plain english tutorial written by kernal Killer that addresses this issue, although I have not used it as of yet it seems to be very straight forward. I don't want to come off as a rtfm type person but I can atleast try to point you to the right help page.

thanks mmiller9 ,
    little question what 's a rtfm ? im a total linux newbie

Mentor

[quote author=grasshopper link=board=6;threadid=5293;start=#51755 date=1034347173]
    thanks mmiller9 ,
    little question what 's a rtfm ? im a total linux newbie
    [/quote]
    "Read The F'n Manual!" ;D

ah i see , well did that actually bit i didnt understand the installation guide from icdwdm at all

Hey I am pretty new at linux also but i plan to play around with Mandrake and Rh8 over the weekend, I like icewm so I will attempt to install it after the fact and try the pet to see how it comes out.

i looked trough all the info i could find on getting icewdm
    at the login choice or make it work with the startx command.
    all the docs point to .xinitrc or .xclients (or xsession?)and some other files where i have to add some lines. i havent got any of these files, only a .xsessionerrors file. i use mandrake 8.1 with kde desktop(installed from cd). icewdm is from a downloaded rpm package (i believe the 'common' version but could be the gnome/kde version too). can anyone please send me or show me a correct file? i read several things about .xinitrc and .clients may not be in the same (home)dir because it can give errors. can anyone tell me what i should use? i really dont have a clue

Well, all that you need in your .xinitrc is

Code:
    icewm
    You do need icewm-common, but you should also have a full icewm package as well to get all the goodies.

I know 'Drake 8.1 has all the IceWM stuff on the CD, because I use to use it. Have you installed it with RPMdrake?

in software installer i could only find gnome and kde. prolly need to look harder. do i need to uninstall the downloaded version or can i just try to install the one that i should find on my mandrake disks (3 right?). i read somewhere that not making the .xinitrc correct can do errors (if there's already another desktop working (kde currently, from the disk). can i try to do this safely ? should look for other files first?
    thanks for all the help

Good Guru

Here, try this.

I am a RedHat and OpenBSD guy, so forgive me if Mandrake is a little bit different. Each distro has a few differences that throw me off in some cases.

As previously stated, Kernel_Killer wrote an awesome PET on doing this same thing, but for RedHat 8. Try referencing that. The one difference I can tell is going to be there is the switchdesk (possibly, I think RedHat put it in a different loc.). But it entails editing about three files.

1) The Xsession file. This one tells X to load a specific binary. So if your WM is /usr/local/bin/schottywm , then that file would have that in it.

2) XChooser. This is where you get to actually choose the WM you want. You basically add in an entry that points to the Xsession file.

3) For RedHat, the next step is editing the swithcdesk stuff. This is where when you load up switchdesk, it swaps a new WM for ya automatically on the next login. You can still login as the last WM, and you get the new WM you chose (like you were using KDE, and decided that you wanted total enlightenment with FLUXBOX (haha, bet you all thought I was gonna say GNOME, although that is a nice one too...).

I can do a bit of surfing possibly for the info on Mandrakes' site. They do have AWESOME docs. As much as I cant stand their distro -- they help out the community SO FRIGGIN MUCH with their amazingly accurate and detailed doc section.